Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/06 09:21:51 UTC

pylucene eggs: releasing on Pypi, listing on the PyLucene wiki and announcing on pylucene-dev

Howdy:
FWIW, we are now five person to have expressed interest and will be
chipping in to provide pre-built eggs at
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/pylucene-extra/ which is
the whole purpose of apache-extras I guess :)

Now I have three requests for you, the pylucene committers:

1/ Pypi: there are no PyLucene entry in Pypi: we would like to create
one and make the eggs available there, so they can be 'distribute'd
'pip'ed or 'easy_install'ed

2/ Apache wiki: we would like to make visible on the Pylucene wiki the
fact that there are community contributed pre-built eggs
but... there is no wiki initialized yet for the project

3/ Announces: we would like to announce on the pylucene-user list the
availability of newly released eggs

Any objections or comments?

--
Cordially
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com
http://eclipse.org/atf - http://eclipse.org/soc - http://eclipse.org/vep
http://drools.org/ - http://easyeclipse.org - http://phpeclipse.com

Re: pylucene eggs: releasing on Pypi, listing on the PyLucene wiki and announcing on pylucene-dev

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
 Hi Philippe,

On Jun 6, 2011, at 0:21, Philippe Ombredanne <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy:
> FWIW, we are now five person to have expressed interest and will be chipping in to provide pre-built eggs at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/pylucene-extra/ which is the whole purpose of apache-extras I guess :)
>
> Now I have three requests for you, the pylucene committers:
>
> 1/ Pypi: there are no PyLucene entry in Pypi: we would like to create one and make the eggs available there, so they can be 'distribute'd 'pip'ed or 'easy_install'ed

No objections on my part as long as:
 - it's not called just "PyLucene" there (pylucene-binaries or pylucene-extras would be fine names, on the other hand)
 - it's made clear that the Apache Lucene project and the Apache Software Foundation are not responsible or endorsing these binaries (and not maintaining them or vouching for their integrity in any way).

> 2/ Apache wiki: we would like to make visible on the Pylucene wiki the fact that there are community contributed pre-built eggs
> but... there is no wiki initialized yet for the project

There has been a wiki attempt in the past setup by volunteer users (prior to the move from OSAF to the ASF) and, as with most wiki sites, it quickly became out of date for lack of gardeners. Personally, I am not willing to take on maintenance of a wiki.
Why not have a wiki for pylucene-extras ?

For the same reasons as above, I can not promote these binaries on the lucene.apache.org/pylucene site but you're welcome to announce/promote these binaries, and pylucene-extras, on the pylucene-dev list, of course, as they're made available and refreshed.

> 3/ Announces: we would like to announce on the pylucene-user list the availability of newly released eggs

There is no pylucene-user list, only a dev list and it serves the same purpose.

Andi..