Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/21 20:16:42 UTC

usage of hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent

Good afternoon,

I have caught a deadlock in Maven several times, when it was executing
TestNG tests (see the thread dump attached).
It was happening in
hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.

Do you think it is a defect in this concurrency back-port?

Is there any reason why Maven uses the back-port when running in Java 7?
Should not it use default Java implementation instead?

Thanks a lot for any feedback,
Sergey

Re: usage of hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
reading your stack trace.

No that's not part of maven core.
Maven core define a version you can override.
So as Core 2.2.1 is a bit old it comes with old surefire version
Except if you override that in your pom.

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: usage of hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent

Posted by Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
sounds more an issue in surefire plugin.
Try use last version of this plugin. (2.16)

On 25 November 2013 15:29, Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> The package is part of apache-maven-2.2.1/lib/maven-2.2.1-uber.jar.
> It looks like it is a part of Maven Core (at least it is a part of standard
> distribution).
>
> I do not know why the attached thread dump did not work for you, so I am
> sending it as a pastebin: http://pastebin.com/T1MAkwL7
>
> There is no package like this in Maven 3.0.4, so maybe that's just an old
> version.
>
> I am getting the same deadlock at least once a week, when I am running
> TestNG-based UI tests (Webdriver) using Surefire.
> Chromedriver crashes, and it leads to the deadlock in Maven. Note, I am
> connecting to Chromedriver through Selenium standalone server, so the code
> that gets deadlock is executed in separate VM, so it has nothing to do with
> Chromedriver's native calls.
>
> If I use Maven 3.0.4 and get the same Chromedriver cache, I do not get a
> deadlock in Maven, so the issue is specific to version 2.2.1.
> It sounds like a bug in hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.
> backport.java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue, so it Maven 2 line is
> still supported, maybe it makes sense to fix an error there, or to get rid
> of this package at all ...
>
> What do you think about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Sergey
>

> 2013/11/24 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
>
>> Within Maven core or a plugin? I'm not sure Maven core use that..
>>
>> BTW Hard to know without any logs and/or stack trace or/and the Maven
>> version you are using.
>>

>> On 22 November 2013 06:16, Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Good afternoon,
>> >
>> > I have caught a deadlock in Maven several times, when it was executing
>> > TestNG tests (see the thread dump attached).
>> > It was happening in
>> >
>> hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.
>> >
>> > Do you think it is a defect in this concurrency back-port?
>> >
>> > Is there any reason why Maven uses the back-port when running in Java 7?
>> > Should not it use default Java implementation instead?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for any feedback,
>> > Sergey

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: usage of hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent

Posted by Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Within Maven core or a plugin? I'm not sure Maven core use that..

BTW Hard to know without any logs and/or stack trace or/and the Maven
version you are using.

On 22 November 2013 06:16, Sergey Bondarenko <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I have caught a deadlock in Maven several times, when it was executing
> TestNG tests (see the thread dump attached).
> It was happening in
> hidden.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.
>
> Do you think it is a defect in this concurrency back-port?
>
> Is there any reason why Maven uses the back-port when running in Java 7?
> Should not it use default Java implementation instead?
>
> Thanks a lot for any feedback,
> Sergey

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au