Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/12/07 00:42:16 UTC

tuning the logfiles (Was: (FOR-702))

Ross Gardler commented on FOR-702:
> ----------------------------------
>
> Right now the locatonmap logs are being duplicated in the
> linkrewriter, the locationmap and the core logs. This is a
> waste of resources, we need to make them appear in just
> the locationmap log. I guess this is a logkit.xconf setting

Yes it is managed by logkit and easily changed.

However there is a reason for that duplication.

The locationmap.log provides only locationmap
messages, so that they are easily to focus on.

Whereas core.log provides the full context.
It is important to be able to see the requests
that spawned the locationmap requests.

I don't agree that this duplication is a waste of resources.
This only happens if the developer deliberately sets
the level to be DEBUG in logkit.xconf

Set DEBUG on the core.log so that locationmap
messages go there along with everything else.
If you want to also see the locationmap messages
separately, then also raise its log-level.

-David

Re: tuning the logfiles (Was: (FOR-702))

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler commented on FOR-702:
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > Right now the locatonmap logs are being duplicated in the
> > linkrewriter, the locationmap and the core logs. This is a
> > waste of resources, we need to make them appear in just
> > the locationmap log. I guess this is a logkit.xconf setting
>
> Yes it is managed by logkit and easily changed.
>
> However there is a reason for that duplication.
>
> The locationmap.log provides only locationmap
> messages, so that they are easily to focus on.
>
> Whereas core.log provides the full context.
> It is important to be able to see the requests
> that spawned the locationmap requests.
>
> I don't agree that this duplication is a waste of resources.
> This only happens if the developer deliberately sets
> the level to be DEBUG in logkit.xconf
>
> Set DEBUG on the core.log so that locationmap
> messages go there along with everything else.
> If you want to also see the locationmap messages
> separately, then also raise its log-level.

Sorry, i only answered part of the issue.

Why also duplicated in the linkrewriter log?

I don't know. These separate logs were added
when trying to debug the Linkrewriter issues
with the JXPath bug. I found these logs useful
so left them configured.

Now there must have been a reason for the
duplication. Probably the same reason as above:
"to provide context".

I just made a commit which commented that one out
as an example of how to gain more contextual info.

-David