Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2012/01/16 14:21:30 UTC

resurrect the Cocoon documentation

TL;DNR
Use the Apache CMS for at least our top-level docs
and the stalled 2.1 and 2.2 docs.

However, i cannot actually do this work, just explain and guide.

I have done some background research to try to gather the
various past threads and docs. Perhaps this will help us to
bring the Cocoon documentation back to life.

In the past we had the sources for the docs in xml format
and then processed by Apache Forrest to generate the html pages.

A few years ago we moved to using the Daisy CMS to store/edit
all content for 2.1 and 2.2 versions, as well as the top-level
project non-version-specific stuff.

For Cocoon-2.2, and the top-level stuff, the Maven site plugin
extracted the content from Daisy and generated the html pages. [4]

For Cocoon-2.1, the Forrest plugin "Daisy input plugin" extracted
the content from Daisy and generated the html pages. [5]

For Cocoon-3, the source content is stored in xml files
and the Maven site plugin generates the html pages.

All generated html was (and still is) committed to the
Cocoon "site" SVN [1].

Then 'svn up' on the people.apache.org machine does the
publishing step. (Later that step could move to using svnpubsub.)

The Daisy server operated on our Zones machine cocoon.zones.apache.org
(which also housed the demonstrations for Cocoon 2.1 and 2.2).
The Zones server is managed by the Cocoon project. See [2].

However, the machine that provided the zones for a set of
projects needed to be upgraded. The Cocoon project did not
move our services in time.
IIRC we do now have a "freebsd jail" which is basically configured,
but not yet re-installed Daisy or Cocoon demo examples,
nor the web server.
IIRC we did get a backup of the Daisy data [3] if that helps.

The Forrest forrestbot neededi to be turned off, as it could not
access the source content for the 2.1 documentation.

For the 2.2 documentation, i presume that Maven also has troubles.

So unless someone can re-instate the new cocoon.zones.apache.org
and the Daisy server, then we need some other solution.

Suggestion to use the Apache CMS:

One other solution would be to use the new Apache CMS. [7]

It can have source content in either Markdown format
or in HTML format and perhaps others.

To resurrect the content, we might be able to use the
last published "generated" set of html documents, strip off
the outer headers and menu stuff, replace with basic header,
and use that set of content to seed the CMS.

--------------------
(Some of these resources are only available to Cocoon PMC members.)

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/site/

[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/cocoon/cocoon.zones.apache.org/

[3] Search the PMC archive for various email from Bertrand

[4] http://cocoon.apache.org/1418_1_1.html
How to publish docs to cocoon.apache.org
(i.e. for Cocoon-2.2 and the top-level of c.a.o)

[5] http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonWebsiteUpdate
How to publish Cocoon-2.1 docs

[7] Apache CMS
http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCms2010
http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCMSFAQ
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

Re: Website management [WAS Re: resurrect the Cocoon documentation]

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi all,
I have just migrated to maven site generation and XDOC format the
cocoon-main-site [1] and also published the re-generated pages: please
take a look at our website and let us know if there is something to fix.

I'll continue this migration process for all other subsites under [2].

While taking a closer look to main site content, I've noticed some issues:

* News in home page MUST be updated: I think we can add there the
release of C3 alpha-2 and alpha-3 and the availability of C2.1 and C3
samples in cocoon.zones.apache.org

* Professional Services [3]: some links are broken + I would like to add
my company (Tirasa); other interested?

* Weblogs [4]: some links are broken + I would like to add my own blog;
other interested?

* Products [5]: latest HippoCMS releases are not based on Cocoon anymore
+ MindQuarry seems not to be operational anymore + I would like to add
Hippo Cocoon Toolkit [6]; other interested?

* Live Sites [7]: each entry there should be reviewed

* How to contribute [8]: it's all about how to run Daisy for
documentation; I would wipe it completely and replace with something
more general about how to contribute to Cocoon

* How to publish docs [9]: obsolete, update or remove

* How to build the site locally [10]: obsolete, update or remove

* Releasing Cocoon [11]: update / remove Daisy information

* Project Team [12]: someone went emeritus, new people has been added

WDYT?

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/site/cocoon-main-site
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/site/
[3] http://cocoon.apache.org/1271_1_1.html
[4] http://cocoon.apache.org/1271_1_1.html
[5] http://cocoon.apache.org/1365_1_1.html
[6] https://forge.onehippo.org/gf/project/hct/
[7] http://cocoon.apache.org/706_1_1.html
[8] http://cocoon.apache.org/1273_1_1.html
[9] http://cocoon.apache.org/1418_1_1.html
[10] http://cocoon.apache.org/1256_1_1.html
[11] http://cocoon.apache.org/1199_1_1.html
[12] http://cocoon.apache.org/team-list.html

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Website management [WAS Re: resurrect the Cocoon documentation]

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Nathaniel, Alfred" <Al...@six-group.com>.
I am also for (2) although I can't promis much help.

I think moving the docs to a CMS was one of the big mis-decisions of C2.
The wishful thinking was that non-developers would come forward to improve the documentation which were before discouraged by the xdoc and svn.
Sad reality was that the CMS created an extra threshold for any documentation update that it almost completely stopped.

We should come back to where code and doc changes can be committed and published together.
One major improvement over the past scheme would be if doc changes could be previewed live without a build cycle.

Cheers, Alfred.

> [...]

> Suggestion to use the Apache CMS:
>
> One other solution would be to use the new Apache CMS. [7]
>
> It can have source content in either Markdown format
> or in HTML format and perhaps others.
>
> To resurrect the content, we might be able to use the
> last published "generated" set of html documents, strip off
> the outer headers and menu stuff, replace with basic header,
> and use that set of content to seed the CMS.
>
> --------------------
> (Some of these resources are only available to Cocoon PMC members.)
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/site/
>
> [2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/cocoon/cocoon.zones.apache.org/
>
> [3] Search the PMC archive for various email from Bertrand
>
> [4] http://cocoon.apache.org/1418_1_1.html
> How to publish docs to cocoon.apache.org
> (i.e. for Cocoon-2.2 and the top-level of c.a.o)

The content of this e-mail is intended only for the confidential use of the person addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.
Thank you.

Website management [WAS Re: resurrect the Cocoon documentation]

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi all,