Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/27 09:31:45 UTC

What is the limitation of row_count in get_range_slice ?

Hi all,

When I invoke the api get_range_slice and set the argument row_count as
Integer.Max, it will throw exception. But if I set it as a small int number,
everything is fine. So what is the limitation of this argument, what is the
biggest number of records I can get at one time ?

Thanks.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: What is the limitation of row_count in get_range_slice ?

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
the limitation is entirely based on the hardware your using and the
volume of data you are getting back (imo at least) since your
basically restricted by the amount of data you can query and return
within your rpc timeout..  if your name/value's are large then you'll
be able to query fewer then if you that lots of small name columns
with empty values

get_count suffers from the same conditions, if the column parent is
too large the rpc timeout will kill your get count request before
obtaining the count, increasing the configured rpc timeout will let
you pull back more or count for a longer time

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell