Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Chris Farnham <cf...@cra.com> on 2007/09/26 01:57:12 UTC

Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

I've been using Cayenne on two different projects for a couple of months
now and am very happy with it.

One thing that I don't like is the reliance upon a graphical composer
rather than a well documented and defined descriptor file.  I know that
the Cayenne community views the GUI tool as an important differentiator
from other ORM frameworks.  But not everyone likes to work with GUI
tools.  Perhaps it's my Unix roots.

I prefer working directly with Cayenne's XML descriptor.  I wish that
the schema was documented beyond just a DTD and snippets that people
pass around on this list.  I also get frustrated when I find
documentation which explains how to control caching or custom queries
and all it has are step-by-step screenshots of the GUI tool.

I know that the GUI tool is part of the Cayenne philosophy and I am wary
of starting a flame-war (perhaps this discussion was happened on this
list in times past and I haven't seen it).

Do other people feel the same way I do?
If so, can Cayenne better support both modes of use?

I would like to see documentation and examples that are XML descriptor
centric as well as GUI centric.

I also think that it'd be an interesting project to look at the current
XML syntax and make it a little more user/text-editor friendly.  I have
no concrete ideas on this latter point but I've been playing around with
DSLs in other areas and it might be neat to either streamline Cayenne's
XML syntax or create a DSL.  Either of these could be transformed into
the current XML syntax.

I only raise this issue because I've enjoyed using Cayenne and would
like to see it improve.

Thanks,
Chris Farnham

cfarnham@cra.com

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED. IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

Re: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Chris,

I don't think anything you said warrants starting a flame war :-) GUI
tools and text editors are not mutually exclusive. Where the Cayenne
philosophy may have played out is in the lack of interest in
documenting the XML format by the developers. But lack of interest
not equals opposing the idea. I am all for taking the DTD, and
creating a chapter in the user guide called "Cayenne XML Format" or
something and/or providing XML snippets next to the GUI screenshots
throughout the docs. If anybody is willing to participate in this
effort (even if they are not current committers), let us know - we
can arrange access to the documentation Wiki.

Thanks
Andrus

Re: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

Posted by Mikaël Cluseau <mi...@isinc.dyndns.org>.
You may be interested in the "Modifying projects in Java" thread of last
july.

--
Mikaël Cluseau <mc...@gmail.com>
ISI.NC

Fwd: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
FYI:

As Chris followed up on his suggestion to start working on a Wiki
page describing Cayenne XML format, I added Chris to "cayenne-user"
Wiki group and I made some permission changes in the CAY space,
allowing "cayenne-user" to edit the space. Note that since we do not
include the contents of this space in the release, this is the only
space where users without a CLA on file may be allowed. But of course
if we are to transfer the contents to CAYDOC, we'll need a CLA.

Andrus

Begin forwarded message:

RE: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI

Posted by Chris Farnham <cf...@cra.com>.