Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Samuel Jones <sd...@direcway.com> on 2004/05/31 16:15:28 UTC

make error on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64

I am trying to build Subversion 1.0.4 on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64.
I get this error:

cd subversion/libsvn_subr && /bin/sh /home/sam/svnbuild/subversion-1.0.4/
libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -g -O2 -pthread  -DNEON_ZLIB
-rpath /usr/local/lib -o libsvn_subr-1.la auth.lo cmdline.lo config.lo
config_auth.lo config_file.lo config_win.lo date.lo error.lo hash.lo io.lo
md5.lo opt.lo path.lo pool.lo quoprint.lo sorts.lo stream.lo subst.lo
svn_base64.lo svn_string.lo target.lo time.lo utf.lo utf_validate.lo
validate.lo xml.lo /home/sam/svnbuild/subversion-1.0.4/apr-util/
libaprutil-0.la -ldb1 -lexpat /home/sam/svnbuild/subversion-1.0.4/apr/
libapr-0.la -lrt -lm -lcrypt -lnsl  -lpthread -ldl
/usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la] Error 1

Anyone know why?

Sam Jones

Re: make error on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64

Posted by Andreas Jellinghaus <aj...@dungeon.inka.de>.
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

maybe that file is corrupt. look at it with ls -l and
file commands. (hmm, I think I had that problem, too, but
on gentoo/amd64).

Andreas

Re: make error on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Samuel Jones wrote:

>Will I need swig if I only use svn+ssh from the
>command line? This is a client only installation.

No, swig is a wrapper around the C API which can be used by other
languages. It is for developers only and is not needed for a client-only
install.

Re: make error on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64

Posted by Samuel Jones <sd...@direcway.com>.
On Monday 31 May 2004 11:58, Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Mon, May 31, Samuel Jones wrote:
> > I am trying to build Subversion 1.0.4 on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64.
> > I get this error:
> >
> > /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la] Error 1
>
> This must be /usr/lib64 to grab the 64bit version. I assume you have all
> the required devel stuff installed. what configure options do you use?

I did:

   ./configure
   make

from the Subversion top level directory.

I have it working now. I downloaded the expat
source and did

     ./configure
     make
     make install        # as root

Then redid the Subversion commands above with
swig disabled because I couldn't get it to compile
with swig enabed.

Subversion works now without swig. I assume
I don't need it. 	 I don't know what else may have
broken in the process.

I made the assumption that configure would
figure out the 64-bit issues.

Is there a better way?

Will I need swig if I only use svn+ssh from the
command line? This is a client only installation.

Sam

Re: make error on SuSE Linux 9.0 on AMD 64

Posted by Olaf Hering <ol...@suse.de>.

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG