Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> on 2013/02/25 19:33:29 UTC

Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Hi all,

I've had some more time now to look at how we can go from the current
which we've called the Query Builder so far I believe.

This is mainly achieved by making facets check boxes:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search.png

Roughly inspired by Amazons design:
http://goo.gl/s1DbM

When a user makes some selections in the facets area an then moves the
mouse out of the area for a given time, a countdown is shown until those
sections in which a selection happened collapse into a more condensed view
of the selection:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search%20countdown%20after%20selection.png

Altogether these changes allow users to execute simple boolean queries, of
the type shown below:
{text string from search box} AND type a AND status { a OR b OR c} AND
component { all } AND milestone { !milestone6}

When in the table view users will be able to make batch changes too, this
isn't shown in the mock ups yet.

What do you guys think, is this going in the right direction?

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joe Dreimann

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Anand Kumria <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hello Joachim,

(ugh: reply-to munging mailing lists. The 1990s called, they want
their pointlessness back.)

I'm a short-time lurker, but I quite like your proposal.

Like your college, Gary, I think have the auto-close functionality is very odd.

The link to Amazon you gave does not exhibit the same thing.

To me, it'd make more sense to simply show - immediately if possible -
the faceted items.

Instead, like Amazon, simply highlight what the faceted terms happen to be.

Regards,
Anand

--
“Don’t be sad because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/13, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> r there search meta-vars for products owned by user ?
>>
> Do you mean search for resources in products where user is product owner?

yes. just a suggestion if you think it's of any value .

Olemis.

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
> r there search meta-vars for products owned by user ?

Do you mean search for resources in products where user is product owner?

Cheers, Andrej

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/13, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:

[...]
>> how the search integration with multiproduct will function and look like?
>> Should we
>> have a global search (across all products) by default and product choices
>> as facets,
>> or would it be better to always limit the search to the "current" product
>> scope?
>> (I vote for the former I *think*, haven't thought it through yet)
> We can set default product filter based on active product and use
> global search if user navigates directly to global search url - I
> think, Olemis suggested something like this. But in both cases
> bhsearch should provide possibility to change search scope to a
> different product or search through all products

jftr : what I suggested in simple words was to add
product=active_product filter *only if* there is no product constraint
explicitly set in query *and* request is handled by a product env . If
explicitly set , stick to whatever product set . All this I believe is
quite similar to what I understood after reading the paragraph above ,
though explained in a different way .

> e.g. it is common use
> case when user searches through all products to get assigned tickets
> (query: "$tickets $my").

r there search meta-vars for products owned by user ?

> I think, we need some kind of product
> selector with possibility to select "All products".

+
... and , if possible, a set of products as well ; though that may be
scheduled for another release
;)

Olemis.

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 22.03.2013 13:58, Gary Martin wrote:
> I'm not sure if I would add a setting to change this behaviour until
> feedback or experience suggested it is required.

The setting can be hidden and/or used for A/B testing?

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 22/03/13 12:31, Andrej Golcov wrote:
> I'd like to share result of quick investigation I made on how other
> issue trackers implement the similar functionality:
>   - Jira - by default search globally with possibility of later project selection
>   - YouTrack - project selector for search is part of top navigation.
> "All projects" option is selected by default but user can change
> project before searching
>   - Redmine - search within project by default with possibility to
> select "All projects" later
>
> As you see, there is no common approach here :) We can introduce a
> setting whether the default search should be performed within product
> scope or globally and tune this later based on feedback from users.

Interesting. At the moment I would probably say that we want global
search by default. This would probably imply that wiki links that are
input which are duplicated in different projects would also not be
automatically scoped so we would need to show the choices or a search
page instead of going directly to them.

For instance a search for "#1" would now match across multiple products.
There is a question over how frustrating that would be for those used to
Trac but we should probably encourage users to use "BH-1" (or whatever
syntax we agreed to) instead.

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 21 March 2013 15:35, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/13, Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > On 20 Mar 2013, at 20:53, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 3/20/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> what does this mean exactly ? Let's focus on the following situation .
> >> User reads let's say a wiki page in product P and searches for word W
> >> by using search input box in the header . In your opinion is there any
> >> value for getting results from other projects , even potentially not
> >> provide any result for the active project ?
> >
> > Yes.
> [...]
>
> My point is somehow similar to this :
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/?source=navbar
>
> In there you'll find focused product-specific Search Tickets box and
> broad Search box in body header . So user will choose search scope
> explicitly . The only difference being that our proposal for focused
> search (by default) should span over multiple resources (not just
> tickets).

There are other important differences.

For starters SF does not show the behaviour you propose on the many of
project pages: Search remains global [1], [2], [3], [4]. Even when the
local search boxes are offered, they are in addition to the main search
box, which still has global scope.

Although both boxes are called search, the local search you're referring to
is really a filter of information the user specifically sought out (like
ticket information contained in a product) and displayed in a local
context, unlike the global search box in the header.

To be clear: I have no objection in principle to us having a local search
box like this on our product pages, my objection is against changing the
scope of the search box in the header.

There are more meta reasons why this is a higher priority for SF than for
us though, I would argue:
- SF has a very very large collection of projects. Most deployments of BH
will probably end up with <10 products.
- SF projects are, for the most part, unrelated to one another in type and
developer group. That seems less likely for Bloodhound deployments in small
to medium sized organisations.

That means that I basically agree with you on user intents
> within product boundaries . OTOH I disagree on not to limit the
> (default) scope of search to active product . Systematically leading
> the user out of product boundaries is not a good practice afaict
>
> PS: I actually don't know whether the search box at the top is really
> part of Allura of a SF.net specific add-on .
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Olemis.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/allura/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/allura/files/?source=navbar
[3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/allura/reviews/?source=navbar
[4] http://sourceforge.net/projects/allura/support?source=navbar

Cheers,
Joe

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/20/13, Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2013, at 20:53, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/20/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> On 14 March 2013 19:47, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I believe search should always be global unless the user chooses
>>> otherwise.
>>
>> what does this mean exactly ? Let's focus on the following situation .
>> User reads let's say a wiki page in product P and searches for word W
>> by using search input box in the header . In your opinion is there any
>> value for getting results from other projects , even potentially not
>> provide any result for the active project ?
>
> Yes.
[...]

My point is somehow similar to this :

http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/?source=navbar

In there you'll find focused product-specific Search Tickets box and
broad Search box in body header . So user will choose search scope
explicitly . The only difference being that our proposal for focused
search (by default) should span over multiple resources (not just
tickets) . That means that I basically agree with you on user intents

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 20 Mar 2013, at 20:53, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> On 14 March 2013 19:47, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> [...]
>>> We can set default product filter based on active product and use
>>> global search if user navigates directly to global search url - I
>>> think, Olemis suggested something like this.
>>
>> I believe search should always be global unless the user chooses otherwise.
>
> what does this mean exactly ? Let's focus on the following situation .
> User reads let's say a wiki page in product P and searches for word W
> by using search input box in the header . In your opinion is there any
> value for getting results from other projects , even potentially not
> provide any result for the active project ?

Yes. Given your scenario:

- If the user was reading the page it may have reminded her of W in another product (or user is uncertain about the product it's in), not retrieving that information = bad (initially the user may even think it doesn't exist at all)
- The user may have just had the page open from reading earlier, but coming back to the tab now after an hour she may be looking for something unrelated = bad
- The same action (search) having changing scope without an explicit user action seems bad

The first two are common use cases for me and ones I often see others do. I may suffer from confirmation bias here though so do let me know if that's not your experience.

There's a stronger argument for me though, and I'd love to see log data to prove or disprove it. I believe most searches are navigational, essentially to named objects that users have seen or interacted with in the past, or that they know about by other means. Users tend to find these through query negotiation by refining their query to narrow it down, but crucially rarely to broaden it unless they have high certainty that it exists and high determination to get there. We need to design for people for whom that's not the case, that means full scope by default to me.

Don't mistake that for me being certain, I would much prefer to test both approaches with users. If you think that's feasible I may be able to set up such a test.

Cheers,
Joe

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
I've update the mockup now. In addition to the comments below I've added in
the drop down for which columns to show as suggested by Andrej.

https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/BloodhoundSearch/search%20grid%20view.png

On 14 March 2013 19:47, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:

> >> This is my suggestion for the Query Builder UI in Grid view / batch edit
> >> mode:
> >>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/BloodhoundSearch/search%20grid%20view.png
>
> As it was previously discussed, current search does not support facets
> out off result scope (similar to Ebay opposite to Amazone). That means
> that filters multi-select (OR operation) is not easy in simple way e.g
> multi-check box selection - since the first selection will collapse
> the facet to a single value. Though, there is possibility to add OR
> facet filters in popup (Ebay way). I suggest to proceed with single
> click (without multi-selection) as it is now and add OR functionality
> later based on user feedback.

The multi-select suggestion is a step towards replacing the Custom Query
functionality with this new search interface. As such it can wait if it's
difficult, but I believe we should avoid the popup if at all possible.
Amazon's implementation seems like a much nicer experience to me.

> "Clear filters" link in the breadcrumb - Doesn't "Search" link
> provides the same functionality? I would rather have a link with
> "search text" instead of "Clear filters" with functionality of
> cleaning query text but leaving filters.

I've made that change in the mockup above.

> > how the search integration with multiproduct will function and look
> like? Should we
> > have a global search (across all products) by default and product
> choices as facets,
> > or would it be better to always limit the search to the "current"
> product scope?
> > (I vote for the former I *think*, haven't thought it through yet)
> We can set default product filter based on active product and use
> global search if user navigates directly to global search url - I
> think, Olemis suggested something like this.

I believe search should always be global unless the user chooses otherwise.
Our ranking should ensure that most relevant items move towards the top,
and a data point for this could be recently viewed products.

> But in both cases
> bhsearch should provide possibility to change search scope to a
> different product or search through all products e.g. it is common use
> case when user searches through all products to get assigned tickets
> (query: "$tickets $my"). I think, we need some kind of product
> selector with possibility to select "All products". I believe,  Joe
> mentioned http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/ as possible
> implementation.
>
> Cheers, Andrej

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joe Dreimann
*

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Matevž Bradač <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 14. Mar, 2013, at 17:01, Joachim Dreimann wrote:

> This is my suggestion for the Query Builder UI in Grid view / batch edit
> mode:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/BloodhoundSearch/search%20grid%20view.png
>
> I believe this reflects all the previous comments made on this, but I may
> have missed something. Please let me know if I did and I will update it
> shortly.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe

This looks great, thanks for the mockup. Maybe a bit off-topic, but have we discussed
how the search integration with multiproduct will function and look like? Should we
have a global search (across all products) by default and product choices as facets,
or would it be better to always limit the search to the "current" product scope?
(I vote for the former I *think*, haven't thought it through yet)

--
matevz

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
I think, we also mentioned possibility to add/select columns for grid view.

Regards, Andrej

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

--
Joe Dreimann
*

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 01/03/13 10:59, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>> I'm not clear on what this means in practice - I had the impression that
>> both Amazon and (current) Bloodhound show the number of items found under
>> the current constraints (query term, other facets) per facet.
> Actually, Amazon search shows counts for Brands out of search scope.
> For example, using your sample from url above, if you filter by
> Sumsung brand, you see also other brands and counts. Ok, we are to
> deep in technical details here.

It is a good point though. The advantage of allowing this is that we get
the ability to do or relations within each category but, unless there is
some kind of shortcut to the information in whoosh, it would mean
multiple searches.

The ebay solution mentioned in Andrej's reply also shows another means
to create the OR condition by providing a popup to show just one
category of facets which would be a search that could be done on demand.
They also do not bother with showing the number of results under each
category except within the popup.

I think I prefer the form that Joe proposes for giving more information
but it may be worth compromising.

>>>   - Number of products can be quite big and facet filter IMHO is not
>>> the best way to filter product specific resource.  I would suggest
>>> having an combo or dropdown with product selector. Something similar
>>> to projects in http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues or "computer
>>> components" dropdown in amazon link that you provided. The product
>>> selector can be  part of top navigation and used not only by search.
>>>
>> Seems reasonable, although I would suggest that Chosen has a better Multi
>> Select style:
>> http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
> +1.

Looks good to me too.

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 2/28/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 26 February 2013 13:10, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:

[...]
>>  - "next >": is it next page link? Trac search uses "Next
>> Page/Previous Page" navigation on the right side of breadcrumb bar,
>> just below App dropdown. Does it mean that we will not show page
>> numbers e.g. 1,2,3... as it is done now?
>>

> We may have it in the breadcrumb instead, I don't believe that is applied
> consistently currently. The pagination at the bottom should stay and isn't
> affected by this.

+1 for having both breadcrumbs & *Bootstrap* pagination

[...]
>> > When in the table view users will be able to make batch changes too,
>> > this
>> > isn't shown in the mock ups yet.
>> We can support batch operation for free text view also. It is just
>> another way of presentation.
>>

> I understand it's technically possible, but I'm not convinced it's as easy
> to present or obvious to users.

fwiw +1

Olemis.

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
Ok I accept that auto-close may be a whacky idea and not helpful in this
form now. I'll remove it from the next mockup.

On 26 February 2013 13:10, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:

> > I've had some more time now to look at how we can go from the current
> > which we've called the Query Builder so far I believe.
> >
> > This is mainly achieved by making facets check boxes:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search.png
>
> One clarification.
> BH search shows facets in a different way from Amazone. BH search
> shows facets count within returned result set. In other words if user
> filters by component "A", bhsearch will show only one recored "A
> (count)" for component facets. It is possible to do in Amazon way, but
> requires at least one more search request. For now, I would stay with
> current implementation.

I'm not clear on what this means in practice - I had the impression that
both Amazon and (current) Bloodhound show the number of items found under
the current constraints (query term, other facets) per facet.

> Some notes and comments from my side:
>  - We can also provide multi-level facets and date-time based facets
> e.g. ticket milestone/state so UI should be able to support this

Understood. I think this fits will in the proposed style and is more a
question of implementing those special cases (like the styling of date
fields).

>  - Number of products can be quite big and facet filter IMHO is not
> the best way to filter product specific resource.  I would suggest
> having an combo or dropdown with product selector. Something similar
> to projects in http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues or "computer
> components" dropdown in amazon link that you provided. The product
> selector can be  part of top navigation and used not only by search.

Seems reasonable, although I would suggest that Chosen has a better Multi
Select style:
http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/

>  -  BH resources have quite big number of fields. All of them cannot
> be put in facets. So, we probably still need some kind of advanced
> query builder in futue. But with aforementioned suggestion we can
> pospone the advanced query builder for some time.

Similar to the current Custom Query builder users could add categories from
a dropdown, and restrict them to a  value in a similar way. I'll include
this in the next mockup I'm putting together tomorrow.

>  - search breadcrumbs:
>    - What does link on "Search >" on the left of breadcrumb?

http://[bloodhound]/search (incl current search box query)

>    - I suppose that click on "Ticket >" link in the breadcrumbs resets
> all filters except search box query? Does "Clear filters" link
> duplicates the similar functionality?

My thinking was actually that it removes all filters other than the one for
Type.

>  - "View as: Grid | Free text: Grid is just one of the possible (and
> pluggable in future) ways of the result presentation. Though, I
> suggest to have "View as" in dropdown way.

Dropdown: could do, it's an extra click now vs potentially saving space in
future. I'll put that in my next mockup.

>  - I think about "View as" as a part of toolbar below of search
> breadcrumb. The toolbar may include select all/none methods, batch
> operations etc.

Yep. Those options shouldn't be visible though unless they actually apply.
See Gmail's batch operations buttons for inspiration.

>  - "next >": is it next page link? Trac search uses "Next
> Page/Previous Page" navigation on the right side of breadcrumb bar,
> just below App dropdown. Does it mean that we will not show page
> numbers e.g. 1,2,3... as it is done now?

We may have it in the breadcrumb instead, I don't believe that is applied
consistently currently. The pagination at the bottom should stay and isn't
affected by this.

> - Will we support possibility to specify sorting in free text search view?

No - If our sorting of results isn't good enough for the majority of cases
we should probably fix that before we ask users to figure it out for
themselves.

> > When a user makes some selections in the facets area an then moves the
> > mouse out of the area for a given time, a countdown is shown until those
> > sections in which a selection happened collapse into a more condensed
> view
> > of the selection:
> I would prefer some static way (e.g. similar to Amazon) of doing this
> without auto collapsing.

Ok.

--
Joe Dreimann
*

Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Matevž Bradač <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 25. Feb, 2013, at 19:33, Joachim Dreimann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had some more time now to look at how we can go from the current
> which we've called the Query Builder so far I believe.
>
> This is mainly achieved by making facets check boxes:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search.png
>
> Roughly inspired by Amazons design:
> http://goo.gl/s1DbM
>
> When a user makes some selections in the facets area an then moves the
> mouse out of the area for a given time, a countdown is shown until those
> sections in which a selection happened collapse into a more condensed view
> of the selection:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search%20countdown%20after%20selection.png

I'm a bit skeptical on how this would work with touch-based devices.
Would there be a different interface in that case?

> Altogether these changes allow users to execute simple boolean queries, of
> the type shown below:
> {text string from search box} AND type a AND status { a OR b OR c} AND
> component { all } AND milestone { !milestone6}
>
> When in the table view users will be able to make batch changes too, this
> isn't shown in the mock ups yet.
>
> What do you guys think, is this going in the right direction?

In general yes, enabling somewhat advanced queries in the UI itself is definitely
a plus, making it work on most/all devices however poses a challenge.