Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andy Pahne <ap...@der-die-das.org> on 2004/09/28 12:41:41 UTC

Do I need a FormElementBorder component?

Sorry for this long text, but I did not know, how to make it shorter.

I am currently developing an application that mainly consists of a lot
of forms (and background database activity). Pretty standard I would say.

The overall design  (look and feel!) of the application is not defined
yet and will be defined and applied, after a working application is
available. That's no problem for me, because I think this kind of
situation can be handled with the Tapestry framework very well. (With
apropriate use of a border component it's easy to change the
applications overall look and feel very quickly and without hassles).

But I can't see yet, how all these forms' and all those form elements's
look and feel can be adjusted easily afterwards.

For me, a for element consist of these parts:
  - display name (short, mandatory)
  - description (a bit longer, optional, always visible, when defined)
  - tooltip indicatior (small icon, optional)
  - tooltip (sort of help text, optional, only visible when mouse is over
    the tooltip indicator)
  - the form element itself (e.g. <input jwcid="@Text" .../>

I thought that having a FormElementBorder component that behaves for
form element much like the Border component for the page does, would be
fine, because I then could define my form elements like this:

     displayName="DOB"
     description="ognl:components.DOBDescriptionBlock"
     tooltip="ognl:components.DOBTooltip"

   <!-- component renders it's body, which consists only of the form
        element itself -->
   <input jwcid="@text" ... />

<!-- and the optional additional information blocks: -->
   Date of Birth
   Please enter your date of birth here.
   The requested format is YYYY/MM/DD.

I have two questions, before I start on my component:

Do you think such a component is useful, or do you have ideas to achieve
  the same functionality in an easier way?

I have no idea yet, how to do this tooltip thing with layers that show
and hide and maybe dynamic javascript as well. Some suggestions on that
particular issue?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Pahne