Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Christian Helmbold <ch...@yahoo.de> on 2009/03/26 17:51:35 UTC

How to secure a Wicket 1.4 application?

Hello,

what would be your prefered way to secure a Wicket 1.4 application?

"Spring Security and Wicket-auth-roles" seems to be outdated. This project suggests to use Wicket-Security. So it is presumably not the best idea to use it.
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/spring-security-and-wicket-auth-roles.html

Wicket-Security seems also to be not up to date and supports only Wicket 1.3.
http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/Wicket-Security
Somewhere I've read that a version of Wicket-Security for Wicket 1.4 exists in a SVN repository. Maybe that makes Wicket-Security a candidate. But this framework looks quite complicated to me - WiComSec, WASP, Hive, SWARM sounds confusing. Is Wicket-Security limited to use JAAS permissions?
http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/Getting+started+with+Swarm
I don't like JAAS very much ...

My first impression is, that it is easier to write custom authentication and authorization, than to use Wicket-Security. How are your experiences?

Regards
Christian

Re: How to secure a Wicket 1.4 application?

Posted by Linda van der Pal <lv...@heritageagenturen.nl>.
I'm still working on this problem myself. I'm still trying to combine
wicket-auth-roles with JAAS and Glassfish. I'll let you know when I
succeed. :)

Regards,
Linda

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I actually find that auth-roles is very simply to use and usually all
I need... if it is ever deprecated I assure you I'll revive it under
another source tree.
However although for some reason it says you should use wicket-
security (not sure why unless wicket-security has the same simple
implementation) as far as I know its still being maintained and used
by a large number of the people here.

I think what you use will depend on your application, if all you need
is a principle and a few "roles" to protect certain pages (or even a
single role), then auth-roles is for you. If you need something more
complex, then wicket-security may be the way to go.

FYI - I usually find wicket-security lags behind the current
snapshot... or at least it was when I last looked at it. The lag is
likely because it *is* more complex.

- Brill