Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Johnson <ji...@kc4hw.net> on 2002/04/18 03:14:28 UTC

Access through Linksys Router/Firewall

I am having some trouble getting the setup right on my Linksys
BEFSR11.  I have Apache 1.3.24 working and can access pages via
localhost and my internal network, but can not access the pages via the
internet.

I have setup the Forwarding for port 80 to the machine that Apache is
running on.  I even tried to setup the DMZ Host to the IP of the machine
that Apache is running on... and still can not access the pages.

Anybody got any suggestions here?

Thanks!

Jim Johnson, Melbourne, Florida
jim@kc4hw.net - http://www.kc4hw.net
DXCluster RF Connection: 144.97
DXCluster Telnet: Coming Soon

Re: Access through Linksys Router/Firewall

Posted by ElectroCities <po...@electrocities.com>.
Access through Linksys routers is no problem.  I have a variety of them and
they all work and do what you are looking for.  However, they are a little
unstable at holding long term connections, but web and email hosting should
be a snap.

I also suggest going to http://www.no-ip.com and getting a free host name
for your machine.  Road running will probably rotate your IP number from
time to time and this can help get around that.

Chuck

I am having some trouble getting the setup right on my Linksys
BEFSR11.  I have Apache 1.3.24 working and can access pages via
localhost and my internal network, but can not access the pages via the
internet.

I have setup the Forwarding for port 80 to the machine that Apache is
running on.  I even tried to setup the DMZ Host to the IP of the machine
that Apache is running on... and still can not access the pages.

Anybody got any suggestions here?

Thanks!

Jim Johnson, Melbourne, Florida
jim@kc4hw.net - http://www.kc4hw.net
DXCluster RF Connection: 144.97
DXCluster Telnet: Coming Soon

-------------------------------
This email powered by
ElectroCities.com
Powering the Electronic Cities of the Future, Today!
Domain Names only $15.00 per year
http://electrocities.com

RE: Access through Linksys Router/Firewall

Posted by Daniel G <te...@ct5.com>.
Key points to remember on the router -- static IP on your computer, open
ports on router -- statically map those ports to your internal address.
I noticed no one pointed this out, maybe it was obvious :)

If that isn't it then try setting Apache to look at a different port
(instead of 80). Statically map those ports through the router, and see
if you can connect. At least that will eliminate the possibility of your
router'S web interface trying to capture inbound port 80 access.

Dan

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
  First, my apologies to the readership of this list.  Certainly this
has gone OT.  If ElectroCities wishes to discuss this further, he/she
can reach contact me off the list.  Normally I would humbly defer to
someone with 20 years' experience.  But the information distributed
on this list needs to be as accurate as humanly possible to be of
benefit to all of us.

HTTP is solely a TCP/IP protocol. If UDP is used by the browser at any
time, it would solely be for the purpose of DNS resolution and not
accessing URLs as you stated.  I say 'If UDP is used by the browser'
because TCP/IP can be used for DNS resolution.  Some services are
written to be dual protocol capable, but Web servers are not one of
them.  As I am sure you are well aware of, UDP is a connectionless
protocol, while TCP/IP is a connection oriented protocol.  If a web
server were written that supported UDP and a client were, under your
scenario, to request the URL via UDP, why would they ever switch to
TCP/IP?  The two protocols are incompatible and the three-way handshake
would be necessary to set up the TCP connection. This would just add
unneeded traffic, to say nothing of the complications doing this would
cause with various firewalls and configurations.

  If anyone wishes to verify my statements, I highly recommend
Richard Stevens excellent three volume series covering this very
topic.

Posted by Brian <bb...@qwest.net>.
perhaps what this "mis-informed" person is referring to is UPD traffic for
DNS queries and TCP for the actual page requests.

port 80 requests on a SOHO "router" (more of a bridge in most cases)
generally go to the router itself as most are equipped with http
configuration tools (where did cli go?).  if you can disable that feature
usually it can get passed by NAT rules outsideIP:80--> insideIP:80.
If not.  Unlucky.  Try another port, but that just give functionality and
does not give public browsing access unless the user actually knows that
port number etc...

Posted by ElectroCities <po...@electrocities.com>.

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.

Posted by ElectroCities <po...@electrocities.com>.
In order for the TCP/IP Winsock to operate properly, you have to have TCP
and UDP access or port 80.  If they block either one you will not be able to
surf the web.  You need UDP traffic for making URL requests and TCP for
receiving the responses.

You might be confusing port blocking with web proxy.  Many ISP use a web
proxy for improving network response, like Comcast Cable, but if the web
proxy is using NAT then you will be able to surf ok, but your cable modem IP
number will not be accessible from outside your ISP's network.  Comcast
caught a lot of hell for this but Road Runner might still be doing it.

Chuck

Posted by Vernon Webb <ve...@b2unow.com>.
I'm using Netgear and have the same problem but I think it's the router
as it runs a web page to configure the router. Never could get it to
forward web pages but I do have other things working such as email.