Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr> on 2016/07/25 10:01:09 UTC

orc/parquet sql conf

Hi,

Assuming I have some data in both ORC/Parquet formats, and some complex workflow that eventually combine results of some queries on these datasets, I would like to get the best execution and looking at the default configs I noticed:

1) Vectorized query execution possible with Parquet only, can you confirm this is possible with the ORC format?

parameter spark.sql.parquet.enableVectorizedReader
[1] https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/internal/SQLConf.scala <https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/internal/SQLConf.scala>
Hive is assuming ORC, parameter hive.vectorized.execution.enabled
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Vectorized+Query+Execution <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Vectorized+Query+Execution>

2) Enabling filter pushdown is by default true for Parquet only, why not also for ORC?
spark.sql.parquet.filterPushdown=true
spark.sql.orc.filterPushdown=false

3) Should I even try to process ORC format with Spark at it seems there is Parquet native support?

Thank you!

Best,
Ovidiu

Re: orc/parquet sql conf

Posted by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr>.
Thank you! Any chance for this work being reviewed and integrated with next Spark release?

Best,
Ovidiu

Re: orc/parquet sql conf

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.