Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by CascioGeorge <Ge...@colliergov.net> on 2016/02/26 14:56:08 UTC

MLA Format for students

To whom it may concern,

I just wanted to throw out an idea. It would be nice to have a MLA format feature for students that is a one or two click setup. It's really easy to make a mistake setting up MLA and to then have a paper rejected for formatting errors rather than content. That's it, just a thought.

Sincerely.

George Cascio, CSM
Supervisor, Utilities Education & Compliance
FACE Level I, II, III Certified
(239) 252-5543

Please take a minute to complete our survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZ9HLMW

________________________________
Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by telephone or in writing.

Re: MLA Format for students

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 26/02/2016 13:56, CascioGeorge wrote:

>It would be nice to have a MLA format feature for students that is a one or two click setup.

A template for MLA formatted papers is available at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mla-paper-template
This was released in October 2008, so it might not meet current MLA
Style Manual criteria. (The template cites URLs, which are downgraded in
MLA Style 7th Edition.)

Does that template satisfy your request?(^1)

If not, would modifications to the template suffice?  And if so, what
modifications are required.

If the template does not suffice, then what additional functionality or
capability would Apache OpenOffice need to have?

^1: A known weak point of AOo is its bibliographic citation
functionality. If that is part of the problem you are referring to,
there are a couple of work-arounds that aren't too painful to do.

jonathon

Re: MLA Format for students

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi George,

Do you refer to the MLA formatting styles similar to the ones referred
to here:
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

Thanks,
Carl

Re: MLA Format for students

Posted by V Stuart Foote <VS...@utsa.edu>.
MLA is one of thousands of referencing formats. Unreasonable to push one over
another for ODF support. Instead, *Zotero* or *Mendeley* projects or even
Thompson-Reuters *EndNote* provide functional support for both Apache
OpenOffice and LibreOffice ODF documents.

http://www.zotero.org/

http://www.mendeley.com/

http://endnote.com/en/requirements