Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by C G <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/06 18:52:37 UTC

Re: Low complexity way to write a file to hdfs?

Ted:

  I am curious about how you read files without installing anything.  Can you share your wisdom?

  Thanks,
  C G

Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com> wrote:

I am looking for a way for scripts to write data to HDFS without having to
install anything.

The /data and /listPaths URL's on the nameserver are ideal for reading
files, but I can't find anything comparable to write files.

Am I missing something?

If not, I think I will file a JIRA and make /data accept POST events. If
anybody has an opinion about that, please let me know (or put a comment on
the JIRA, if and when).

Re: Low complexity way to write a file to hdfs?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
http://<namenode-and-port/data/<file-path-in-hadoop>

I also have code written to allow posting to the same URL for file creation,
but haven't had time to get it to actually work (the posting to the URL
doesn't call doPost for some reason).

If somebody else has time to track down the (probably obvious to anybody but
me) issue, I would be happy to file a Jira and post a patch against 15.1 and
trunk for their reference.