Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Chris Hofstaedter <ch...@nmwco.com> on 2006/11/17 20:57:06 UTC

Is it possible? (memory usagemanager and persistent messages)

I'd like to have an embedded broker with a demandforwardingbridge that does
not persist messages and enforces a memoryLimit against the embedded queue
but a remote broker that will persist those very same messages.  Is this
possible to set up?

So far, I've been caught in a catch-22.  I can get the memoryLimit to work
if I mark my messages as non-persistent but then the remote broker wont
store them such that they are available if the remote broker bounces.  Or I
can get persistent messaging to work so that the messages survive the remote
broker bouncing once they get to it, but then I cant enforce the memory
limit.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can provide....

RE: Is it possible? (memory usagemanager and persistent messages)

Posted by Chris Hofstaedter <ch...@nmwco.com>.
I had just figured this out and tested it with positive results and then
I received this response from you.

I was quite happy with myself about it until I heard it was a "quick
hack" ;)

Seriously though, is there anything wrong with this approach?  It seems
to work pretty darn well.

A quick hack would be to send messages non persitent but on the remote
broker install a BrokerPlugin that makes all messages persistent on
the send operation.

On 11/17/06, Chris Hofstaedter <ch...@nmwco.com> wrote:

> I'd like to have an embedded broker with a demandforwardingbridge that
does
> not persist messages and enforces a memoryLimit against the embedded
queue
> but a remote broker that will persist those very same messages.  Is
this
> possible to set up?
>
> So far, I've been caught in a catch-22.  I can get the memoryLimit to
work
> if I mark my messages as non-persistent but then the remote broker
wont
> store them such that they are available if the remote broker bounces.
Or I
> can get persistent messaging to work so that the messages survive the
remote
> broker bouncing once they get to it, but then I cant enforce the
memory
> limit.
>
> I'd appreciate any insight anyone can provide....

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Is it possible? (memory usagemanager and persistent messages)

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.