Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Charlie Toohey <ct...@pacbell.net> on 2003/01/10 21:53:45 UTC

Context elements question

per the Tomcat configuration documentation at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html

"you MUST define a Context with a context path equal to a zero-length string.
This Context becomes the default  web application for this virtual host, and
is used to process all requests that do not match any other Context's context
path."

I have two questions about this statement:

1)
I don't have a Context meeting this description and everything seems to work
fine, so what are the ramifications of violating this ?

2)
If I were to follow this, and did not have an actual webapp with a
zero-length string as the context path (meaning that I would not have
anything valid to specify for docBase), would I then just create a dummy
webapp in directory ROOT (or wherever) just so that I could comply with this ?

- Charlie