Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Shelley <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/20 17:08:09 UTC

WAR transitive dependencies

When a WAR is defined as a dependency of another project, is there any
configuration to allow the war's dependencies to be discovered transitively?

This behavior is desired in the scenario where utility JARs are packaged in
an EAR, not in the dependent WARs (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MWAR-9).
In this scenario, it is currently necessary to define all the WAR's
dependencies within the WAR's POM, to exclude the contents of the WAR's
WEB-INF/lib, and then to duplicate all WARs' dependencies within the EAR's
POM.  It seems that the WAR type was not intended to support the J2EE
packaging strategy which allows utility JARs to be defined in the EAR, and
therefore prevents the WAR's dependencies from being discovered
transitively.

Re: WAR transitive dependencies

Posted by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
As part of AppFuse's move to Maven 2, we've created a "maven-warpath-plugin"
that gives you the behavior you're looking for.  We've tried to get it
incorporated into the maven-war-plugin, but haven't had a whole lot of
interested from the Maven developers.

http://www.nabble.com/War-plugin-overlays%3A-New-plugin-to-handle-transitive-dependencies-tf2612629s177.html#a7291817

This plugin is currently available as a 1.0-SNAPSHOT at
http://static.appfuse.org/repository.

Documentation is available at:
http://static.appfuse.org/plugins/maven-warpath-plugin.

Matt