Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/30 23:25:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Persistent http 1.1 connections

Hi All,

If using Apache 2.x does it automatically use persistent http 1.1 connections? Is there some way to force that to happen from the Apache end?

Thanks,
-Tony

Re: [users@httpd] Persistent http 1.1 connections

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If using Apache 2.x does it automatically use persistent http 1.1 connections?
That is the default option, if the browser requests it.

  Is there some way to force that to happen from the Apache end?
No. You can turn it off at the Apache end, but I believe that whether it
is on or not depends on the browser requesting it in the first place.

According to wisdom gained at the recent ApacheCON, the keepalive
scenario is not without inconvenients nowadays, and you should not abuse
it. If you do set it at the Apache level, set it to a low value unless
you have really good reasons not to. (low being 2-3 seconds or so).