Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Gururaja H <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/21 11:51:47 UTC

Lucene index files from two different applications.

Hi !

Have two applications.  Both are supposed
to write Lucene index files and the WebApplication is supposed to read
these index files.

Here are the questions:
1.  Can two applications write index files, in the same directory, at the same time ?
2.  If two applications cannot write index files, in the same directory, at the same time.
     How should we resolve this ?  Would appriciate any solutions to this...
3.  My thought is to write the index files in two different directories and read both the indexes
(as though it forms a single index, search results should consider the documents in both the indexes) from the WebApplication.  How to go about implementing this, using Lucene API ?  Need inputs on which of the Lucene API's to use ?

                                              ----

Thanks,
Gururaja

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Lucene index files from two different applications.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Dec 21, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Gururaja H wrote:
> 1.  Can two applications write index files, in the same directory, at
> the same time ?

If you mean to the same Lucene index, the answer is no.  Only a single
IndexWriter instance may be writing to an index at one time.

> 2.  If two applications cannot write index files, in the same
> directory, at the same time.
>      How should we resolve this ?  Would appriciate any solutions to
> this...

You may consider writing a queuing system so that two applications
queue up a document to index, and a single indexer application reads
from the queue.  Or the applications could wait until the index is
available for writing.  Or...

> 3.  My thought is to write the index files in two different
> directories and read both the indexes
> (as though it forms a single index, search results should consider the
> documents in both the indexes) from the WebApplication.  How to go
> about implementing this, using Lucene API ?  Need inputs on which of
> the Lucene API's to use ?

Lucene can easily search from multiple indexes using MultiSearcher.
This merges the results together as you'd expect.

	Erik

Re: Lucene index files from two different applications.

Posted by Sergiu Gordea <gs...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>.
Gururaja H wrote:

>Hi !
>
>Have two applications.  Both are supposed
>to write Lucene index files and the WebApplication is supposed to read
>these index files.
>
>Here are the questions:
>1.  Can two applications write index files, in the same directory, at the same time ?

if you implement the synchronisation between these 2 applications, yes

>2.  If two applications cannot write index files, in the same directory, at the same time.
>     How should we resolve this ?  Would appriciate any solutions to this...

... se 1. and 3.

>3.  My thought is to write the index files in two different directories and read both the indexes
>(as though it forms a single index, search results should consider the documents in both the indexes) from the WebApplication.  How to go about implementing this, using Lucene API ?  Need inputs on which of the Lucene API's to use ?

If yor requirements allow you to create to independent indices, than you
can use the MultiSearcher to search in both indices.
Maybe this will be the most cost effective solution in your case,

 Best,

  Sergiu