Posted to user@flink.apache.org by javalass <t....@student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk> on 2017/10/22 12:24:09 UTC

How can I create a savepoint if I have Flink running in containers?

I have Flink 1.2.1 running on Docker, with Task Managers distributed across
different VMs as part of a Docker Swarm.

I understand Dynamic Scaling is not yet available in Flink. Therefore, if I
wanted to increase the number of containers running Flink's task manager
(scale up), I would need to create a savepoint, stop the running job, scale
up my Task Manager containers, then resume the job.

My question is: how do I create a savepoint? The documentation assumes you
are using the Command Line Client, but I don't think I can access it if I am
running Flink in containers. The Web UI doesn't allow you to create
savepoints either. What do I do, in this case?

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: How can I create a savepoint if I have Flink running in containers?

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I'm not a deployment expert but I think creating a savepoint should
still be doable throught the CLI client. The Flink JobManager and
TaskManager just run the containers and the CLI connects to a
JobManager. I will loop in someone more familar with deployment. We
should definitely improve the documentation here.

Regards,
Timo