Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by David Wood <Da...@thestreet.com> on 2005/06/02 21:32:11 UTC

Chainsaw & JMS/log4j ant build broken

I'm trying very hard to get Chainsaw v2 working with JMS. After reading a
lot of mailing list traffic (apparently the only available documentation
for this outside the source code), I tried very hard to get this to work
with the Java Web Start-based chainsaw install, with no success.

I figured out that there is a plugin directory, and where it lives, and
what its called, installed the log4j-jms.jar, a jms provider (ActiveMQ),
and dependent jars. It still doesn't work; classloader problems prevent
the JMS receiver from initializing with my jndi.properties (specifying an
ActiveMQ-provided initial context fails with a ClassNotFound, even though
the jar is there).

Reasoning this was a Java Web Start problem, I decided to give up and work
with Chainsaw via ant. That's when I discovered that log4j1.3 alpha 6
doesn't build at all - because a chainsaw-specific ant file is missing. I
switched to following the instructions on the web
("install-chainsaw.xml"), and discovered this is seriously broken. There
is *no* chainsaw ant target in the current log4j trunk. It's been removed,
and I can find no replacement in that build.xml or anywhere else in the
tree.

I spent some time reading over the dev list trying to look for an
announcement or any other clue, but all I can see is normal traffic from
people using the tool.

What am I missing? Is anyone using Chainsaw v2 successfully via ant? Or
(too amazing to be true) with JMS? I would truly appreciate any hint as to
how such a thing is possible.

Best regards,
David