Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1998/07/22 15:05:14 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS

On 22 Jul 1998 fielding@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   +    * Use of ptrans in http_main is inconsistent: it is a static global
>   +      that is sometimes used as a temporary pool, sometimes as a
>   +      per-connection pool, and overshadowed in child_sub_main() for a
>   +      per-thread pool.  That sucks.

The last two uses are essentially the same.  It's the first which is
wrong, and I advocated a new pool named "ptemp" for that a few months ago.

The reason the second two uses are consistent is that ptrans is
essentially being used as per-connection data in both cases.  It needs to
be a per-thread thing when you're multithreaded.

I know I sound like a broken record :) but this is another thing that's
fixed in apache-nspr.  There's a ptemp and a ptrans, and ptrans isn't a
global.  (ptemp doesn't need to be a global either... more cleanup
possible.)

Dean