Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by mouss <us...@free.fr> on 2005/06/13 17:15:27 UTC

yet another uribl evasion example

I just got the spam below (headers removed except few).

this hasn't been caught at reception time. It now triggers
RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET.

however, it doesn't trigger surbl checks, since  the '&' is considered
as the end of the url.
	debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query: ins.com nusv.com
and I was surprised that the following works:
# host "nusv.com&wnrsyaidip4elp2wjw0z1li.henogenyhb.com"
nusv.com&wnrsyaidip4elp2wjw0z1li.henogenyhb-MUNGED.com has address
221.11.133.42

would it be reasonable to add a rule to check for anomalies in URLs?
what's the best (TM) way?

another note is that the host (221.3.157.245) issues a helo of
mx.adelphia.net, but 221.3.157.245 is in China while mx.adelphia.net is
in US. shouldn't this trigger a forged helo? one can also see that the
from addr is in .il (let's ignore the msg id). that makes 3 distant
parts of the world:)

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello mouss,

Monday, June 13, 2005, 8:15:27 AM, you wrote:

m> I just got the spam below (headers removed except few).

m> would it be reasonable to add a rule to check for anomalies in URLs?
m> what's the best (TM) way?

1) As has been suggested, upgrade.

2) Grab the SARE header rules file, which has rules for various types
of header obfuscation.

Note that those with 3.0.4 and the new header file get some
double-hits. We'll be running a new overlap analysis soon to get rid
of the duplicates.

Bob Menschel

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> would it be reasonable to add a rule to check for anomalies in URLs?
> what's the best (TM) way?

SARE, at least at the moment.

        Loren

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:15:27PM +0200, mouss wrote:
>
>>however, it doesn't trigger surbl checks, since  the '&' is considered
>>as the end of the url.
>

> What version are you running?  This was fixed in 3.0.4.

thanks for the reply. I am running 3.0.3. time to upgrade... (not in a
hurry though, very few spams get through...)

now, I am still thinking about the forged helo part. Is this fixed? and
if not, is there a way to "fix" it (without getting FPs)?

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.

Posted by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk>.
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Theo Van Dinter uttered the following:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:42:35PM +0200, wolfgang wrote:
>> - 3.0.4 appears to bring new challenges (Net::DNS version and such)
>
> 3.0.4 should be a drop-in replacement for earlier versions.  People seem
> to be having issues if they also upgrade Net::DNS, but there's no
> requirement to do so.

This doesn't seem to be invariably true: I've upgraded Net::DNS to 1.51
on this box (Perl 5.8.5, Linux 2.6.11) and had no problems whatsoever.

Passing strange...

--
`It's as bizarre an intrusion as, I don't know, the hobbits coming home
 to find that the Shire has been taken over by gangsta rappers.'

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:42:35PM +0200, wolfgang wrote:
> - 3.0.4 appears to bring new challenges (Net::DNS version and such)

3.0.4 should be a drop-in replacement for earlier versions.  People seem
to be having issues if they also upgrade Net::DNS, but there's no
requirement to do so.

3.0.4 fixes many bugs, some pretty important, so it's highly recommended to
update.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
I'm practicing assertiveness.  Do you think that's okay?

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Monday 13 June 2005 21:20), Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

> Any reason not wanting to upgrade to 3.0.4 ?

yes.
- our spamchecker machines' distributor is slow with upgrades while i can
patch existing 3.0.2 code on them.

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:15:27PM +0200, mouss wrote:
>>> however, it doesn't trigger surbl checks, since  the '&' is considered
>>> as the end of the url.

>> What version are you running?  This was fixed in 3.0.4.
>
> can the fix be applied to 3.0.3?

Any reason not wanting to upgrade to 3.0.4 ?

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Monday 13 June 2005 18:10), Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:15:27PM +0200, mouss wrote:
> > however, it doesn't trigger surbl checks, since  the '&' is considered
> > as the end of the url.
>
> What version are you running?  This was fixed in 3.0.4.

can the fix be applied to 3.0.3?

cheers,

wolfgang

Re: yet another uribl evasion example

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:15:27PM +0200, mouss wrote:
> however, it doesn't trigger surbl checks, since  the '&' is considered
> as the end of the url.

What version are you running?  This was fixed in 3.0.4.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Farfignewton.. the cookie of the stars..