Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Regan <Da...@criticalsystems.co.uk> on 2001/11/05 11:22:53 UTC

Persisting DOM

I would like to extend xerces-j to provide seemless persistence. That is be
able to create a DOM document and have its parsed info-set stored on a
filesystem. There is a DOM implementation that does this already called PDOM
but it doesn't implement DOM level 2 and therefore cannot be used with the
XPathAPI.

Given this goal I have a number of questions:

1) Is there an easy way to intercept calls to traverse a DOM object. I could
extend the implementation of the xerces-j DOM (although I'm not sure which
class this is!) but then my class would be hardwired to use this DOM
implementation. I would like a way to still hook into the system configured
DOM implementation. I guess I could implement the Document and Element
interfaces and delegate work to the DOM implementation. Any better ideas?

2) Is there a simple way to persist the parsed info-set from Xerces-j?
Clearly, I could persist the textual representation of the XML but this
would mean reparsing to access the document off the disk.

3) How does XNI relate to intercepting calls to Xerces-j? Could I write my
persistence extensions as some sort of installable filter?

Regards,

Enterprise Critical Systems Ltd
EMail: David.Regan@criticalsystems.co.uk