Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2015/05/28 19:43:33 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC3

Hi,

the third release candidate of Apache UIMA Ruta v2.3.0 is ready for voting.

Changes RC2 -> RC3:

UIMA-4430 - Ruta: eclipse plugins not compatible with kepler
UIMA-4429 - Ruta: use (tm) for complete name
fixed NOTICE of ruta-maven-example

Changes RC1 -> RC2:

UIMA-4411 - Ruta: include option to use space as gapText parameter
UIMA-4409 - Ruta: annotation browser view misses to display all feature
values
UIMA-4402 - Ruta: fix javadoc for java 8
UIMA-4401 - Ruta: include IDE support for core-ext artifact in update site
UIMA-4400 - Ruta: ruta maven plugin fails to build missing descriptors
for scripts without delta
UIMA-4398 - Ruta: declare IDE grammar broken

Summary of changes:

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
- Requires Java 7
- Maven Plugin for UIMA Ruta
- Extensions and simplifications of the language (external resources,
null values, more syntactic sugar)
- Improvements to Analysis Engines (RutaEngine, HtmlConverter)
- More exemplary script projects
- Many, many bug fixes

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
- Requires Java 7
- Works now also in other project structures (Maven projects)
- Bug fixes

This release requires an update of script projects and its descriptors,
e.g, in the UIMA Ruta Workbench by deleting all descriptors and updating
the script project.
Right-click on a project and select "UIMA Ruta -> Convert to UIMA Ruta
project"

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1055/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/tags/ruta-2.3.0

Update site:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/ruta-2.3.0-rc3/eclipse-update-site/ruta

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/ruta-2.3.0-rc3/ruta-2.3.0-source-release.zip

Overall 77 (4 of them rejected) issues have been fixed for this release.
They can be found in the RELEASE_NOTES.html.

... and here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.3.0ruta%20AND%20component%20%3D%20ruta%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC3

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
The vote passes, with 3 +1 votes and no other votes received:

+1 Peter Klügl
+1 Marshall Schor
+1 Richard Eckart de Castilho

Thanks to all!

Best,

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Am 04.06.2015 um 19:29 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> On 04.06.2015, at 19:18, Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 04.06.2015 um 11:35 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the RC 3.
>>>
>>> I installed it into a fresh Eclipse Luna SR2 and then imported the example projects using "Import -> Existing Projects" from the checked out SVN folder.
>> Did you use the general option or the option from the maven category, or both?
> I tried both.
>
>>> For whatever reason, the Maven project only was error-free after I did a "Maven -> Update project".
>> which one? ruta-maven-example? Oh, there could be many problems. I actually wonder that it built at all without 2.3.0 been released :-D
> Actually project that I was referring to is called GermanNovels.

I could not reproduce it since the import added a non-parseable char
after the license in Name.ruta. After I removed that char, no build
problems remained. The project is a combination of the old ruta building
of the IDE and a java maven-based build for including the DKPro components.

Did you import it as an existing project (with .project present) or as
an existing maven project? In both cases, there can occur situations
where different combinations of clean project (ruta) and clean install
(maven) together with some maven update project are able to solve
problems that are caused by two different building approaches in one
project that do not know of each other.

I must admit that I have to perform update project now and then for
imported maven project in order to get its correct state.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
compared svn-tag with source-release - OK (only the usual diff)
deleted .m2/../uima, mvn clean install svn-tag - OK
deleted .m2/../uima, mvn clean install source-release - OK

checked some NOTICE/LICENSE files - OK
checked (tm) in readme/release_notes/documentation - OK
checked mention of eclipse version in documentation - OK

installed workbench in luna with uima 2.7.0 features present - OK
created project and tested a simple script - OK
tested "declare bug" of first rc - OK

installed workbench in kepler with uima 2.7.0 features present - OK
created project and tested a simple script - OK
tested "declare bug" of first rc - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I think this is OK, then.

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot :-)

some comments below...

Am 05.06.2015 um 13:20 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:

> ==> Some Maven warnings - NOT CRITICAL
>
> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> [WARNING]
> [WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for org.apache.uima:ruta-maven-example:jar:2.3.0
> [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.(groupId:artifactId)' must be unique but found duplicate declaration of plugin org.apache.uima:ruta-maven-plugin @ line 196, column 12
> [WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.(groupId:artifactId)' must be unique but found duplicate declaration of plugin org.apache.uima:ruta-maven-plugin @ line 239, column 12
> [WARNING]
> [WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they threaten the stability of your build.
> [WARNING]
> [WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support building such malformed projects.

I did this by purpose so that the pom in the example project has
separate plugin configurations for each mojo. A user then can simply
copy what is needed. I probably gonna merge (or improve the id) them in
future.

> ==> I still do not quite understand why some example projects have a NOTICE and LICENSE file and others not - NOT CRITICAL
>
> ==> Minimal format problems in PDF version of documentation: page 70 - NOT CRITICAL

I will create issues for all points.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
==> License spot check, in particular Spring license headers missing from last RC - OK

==> Building from SVN tag with empty local Maven repo on JDK 8. - OK

==> Installed from update site into fresh Eclipse Luna SR 2. - OK

==> Imported sample projects from SVN using "Import -> Existing projects" - some errors but after discussion with Peter NOT CRITICAL

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Checked signatures ok - source-release
SVN compare with tag - OK
build-from-sources after delete of .m2 ruta things: OK
(Not a blocker) the build is showing some javadoc warnings - missing @param or
@return things, for example.

Install plugins into Eclipse Kepler and create new Ruta project, checked error
log - OK

issues fixed - looks good (is in English).

Documentation (Docbook - not mentioned in the [VOTE] email, and not in any
artifact, but built during the build-from-source checking) looks OK.

Spot check of licenses - looks OK.

[X] +1 OK to release

-Marshall