Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by al...@aim.com on 2011/11/20 03:14:58 UTC

jetty error, broken pipe

Hello,

I use solr 3.4 with jetty that is included in it. Periodically, I see this error in the jetty output

SEVERE: org.mortbay.jetty.EofException
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpGenerator.flush(HttpGenerator.java:791)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.flush(AbstractGenerator.java:569)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$Output.flush(HttpConnection.java:1012)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implFlush(StreamEncoder.java:296)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(StreamEncoder.java:140)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(OutputStreamWriter.java:229)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:109)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)
        at org.mortbay.io.ByteArrayBuffer.writeTo(ByteArrayBuffer.java:368)
        at org.mortbay.io.bio.StreamEndPoint.flush(StreamEndPoint.java:129)
        at org.mortbay.io.bio.StreamEndPoint.flush(StreamEndPoint.java:161)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpGenerator.flush(HttpGenerator.java:714)
        ... 25 more

2011-11-19 20:50:00.060:WARN::Committed before 500 null||org.mortbay.jetty.EofException|?at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpGenerator.flush(HttpGenerator.java:791)|?at org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.flush(AbstractGenerator.java:569)|?at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$Output.flush(HttpConnection.java:1012)|?at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implFlush(S

I searched web and the only advice I get is to upgrade to jetty 6.1, but I think the version included in solr is 6.1.26.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks.
Alex.

Re: jetty error, broken pipe

Posted by al...@aim.com.
I found out that curl timeout was set to 10 and for queries taking longer than 10 sec it was closing connection to jetty.
I noticed that when number of docs found is large solr returns results for about 20 sec. This is too long. I set caching to off but it did not help.
I think solr spends too much time to find total number of docs. Is there a way to turn off this count?

Thanks.
Alex.

Re: jetty error, broken pipe