Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2007/01/05 13:02:14 UTC

Developers Conference, early 2007

Hello All,

During the Users Conference this past November the idea of a
developers conference came up, and being something I had discussed
with others before this seemed to be a great idea and something I'd
be happy to host here at the same place where we had the user
conference in Nov 2006 (ie the old hotel where my home and office are
right now, in Ephraim, UT).

The general idea is to get together and basically just work on stuff.
We'd like to get as many of the committers and regular contributors
here as possible, and maybe even pool some funds to help mitigate the
expense for far away people like Jacopo, Jacques, Hans, and perhaps
various others.

We may have some presentations on general topics, but the main point
will be to pick a few objectives for the project and push them
forward. We will definitely want feedback on the projects we want to
attach, and I'm thinking we'll have one person champion each
objective, and then everyone can split into groups and rotate around
and just work on stuff. We'll have a couple of projectors available,
plenty of chairs and table space and facilities for everyone's
laptops, and then we'll get some snacks and a mountain of bottled
water and we should be good to go.

As we talked about this the hope is certainly to help move certain
part of the OFBiz project forward, but also to work on anything that
at least a couple of people need for clients and hopefully have
funding for to help them be able to attend and collaborate.

Ephraim is a small town and rather conservative, but we managed to
find pretty good diversion in the evenings, including "imbibing"
mountains of pasta, or getting in some beer and bowling at the local
alley (which surprisingly, even to me, was pretty decent). For those
staying longer in the area there are some national parks within a few
hours, and lots of mountain roads that are groomed and marked for
snowmobiling and back-country skiing and such (or other things during
the summer). We also have games and stuff in the building, like ping
pong, foosball, and air hockey types of things.

The 2 main things I think we need to discuss are:

1. when to do it
2. what objectives to pursue

For #1 we're thinking about doing this as a full week late February
or early March with 3 possibilities, including: Feb 19 - 23, Feb 26 -
Mar 2, or Mar 5 - 9.

These are all about 2 months away and should hopefully give everyone
time to get organized and make arrangements.

Before getting into topics to cover, here are a few details about
arrangements:

1. this will be sponsored and organized by the new and improved
Hotwax Media, and the cost will be minimal and intended to just cover
expenses (including meeting room facilities, food/snacks/drinks, and
in some cases even lodging); the conference alone (without lodging or
meals included) will probably run around $150 per person and as
mentioned lodging in the building can be added on very affordably,
and the meals dining in the area should be around $20-30 per day
depending on how crazy you want to get ;)

2. the location will be old Ephraim Hotel at 24 West Center, Ephraim,
UT 84627; we'll have meeting/working space for a maximum of around 25
people and we might be able to arrange for another adjacent room to
handle a few more; there will be around 10 very affordable (~$25-30
per night) lodging rooms available in the building, and beyond that
we have other rooms that aren't fixed up yet but there are other
lodging options in town including a pretty nice mid-range hotel that
costs around $80 per night

3. for travel: Ephraim is about a 2 hour drive from the Salt Lake
City airport (code: SLC); alternatively, it is about a 4.5 to 5 hour
(340 miles) drive from Las Vegas, NV; for real flexibility renting a
car is a good idea, but we plan to arrange for rides with various
local people or perhaps even a rented van or something for a ride
share; we will need feedback on what people need or want in this area
too

So, for anyone interested in coming, please contact me (directly, off
the list) with your preferences on the following:

1. when to have the conference: Feb 19 - 23, Feb 26 - Mar 2, or Mar 5
- 9

2. your travel and accommodation preferences: need a ride from the
SLC airport? prefer to stay at the building or in a nearby hotel?

3. would you be interested and able to contribute to help core people
from farther away make it to the conference? if so how much?

4. would you be interested in intermediate level training before the
conference (we are considering this, but haven't decided yet), or
perhaps even more mentoring oriented sessions during the conference?

5. which objectives most interest you (select from below, and include
your own too):

a. testing infrastructure (finishing this up)

b. kick-start a body of automated tests based on (a)

c. project management build out so many of us as services companies
can use it to run our businesses, and so that once it matures we can
run/manage OFBiz on it too (this would be an alternative to things
like Jira, XPlanner, gForge, etc); this could include a number of sub-
objectives, even things like ical, etc features to integrate with
desktop calendar and contact and such software; should also include
reports, handy UIs for common tasks, short process docs for how we
recommend the various tools be used together, etc

d. content solutions: this could/would include stuff built on the
current OFBiz content management data model and services, and/or the
really cool Webslinger stuff from Brainfood (beyond whatever happens
before the conference!)

e. begin development on the human resources application

f. refactor and clean up really old and messy code, like: the
storeOrder service, the order manager checkout process, etc.

g. visually appealing face lift for ecommerce, and based on that the
back end apps too; this should include CSS oriented refactoring to be
more Zen Garden like and easier to maintain and customize

h. usability enhancements for certainly frequently used screens (like
party search, order search, etc) based on AJAX and DHTML

i. generic setup wizard, and perhaps one or two extension wizard
examples for specific industries; this would go along with setup data
files specific to these as well

j. reporting tool refinements (probably form widget based) and a
wider variety of OOTB reports, including some examples of how to do
funky and cool print and web reports with these tools

k. working through bugs to stabilize a release branch (which should
be started a few weeks before the conference)

l. review, organize, and expand the documentation (mostly now on
docs.ofbiz.org, with most stuff moving there)

m. ...

Okay, there is a LOT we could cover and depending on how many people
show up we'll want a list of probably 5-10 objectives to pursue,
making sure we get at least a few things of interest to everyone.

==========================

In general this is a chance for all of us to learn tons of stuff and
collaborate in a way that is sometimes difficult remotely. The main
goal is to take care of things that have been moving slow for a long
time, or to jump start things that would be great but just haven't
been able to get off the ground yet.

I should also note that we would like to start doing this more
regularly, perhaps even quarterly if there is enough interest. We can
keep costs fairly low by doing it here in Ephraim or in other places
like this, and by doing it regularly we can build the community and
move forward long term objectives in a way that has been very
difficult so far.

I look forward to seeing as many of us there (here!) as possible!

-David

Re: Developers Conference, early 2007

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
As was provided for the guys at Steel Rubber at the users conference,
I''m happy to give rides for up to four people down to Ephraim for
these events.  So, people coming into town, just need to say the word.

This is a great opportunity to:

1.  Move the project along more quickly than normal
2. Vastly improve the marketing efforts
3. Further tighten up the our developer community
4. And continue to show our customers that they will be supported by
an open source community - even when they're not funding everything

As for timing, my only request is that we do it sometime after
February 26th.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
We'd love to have you come Si.  Your presence would be a big boost
for sure.  If you guys can't make it - we'll do the best we can with
having it available remotely.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Si,

Yes, this keeps coming up with us too!

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Developers Conference, early 2007

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Ephraim doesn't have a "red light" district but maybe David can
make a proposal at the next city council mtg;)

Brett

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> The general idea is to get together and basically just work on stuff.

FYI:

At the official ApacheCon conferences, they generally call this a
'hackathon', and reserve a bit of time for it before the conference
starts.  It would probably be a fun experience to go to one of those
for a few people (keep submitting proposals, by the way, sooner or
later they're going to accept one:-).

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/