Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/20 13:49:27 UTC

Altrmi- Remotable lifecycle extension

Hi,
Attached here is a first cut of a Remotable Extension
handler (merlin2 compatible).

Components can supply the objects that it wishes to
expose to remote
client by subscribing to a Remotable lifecycle
extension .

/**
 *  Remotable Lifecycle Extension enables a object to
 * expose itself remotely to its potential client
using
 * AltRMI.
 * </pre>
 * </code>
 *
 */
public interface Remotable
{
    /**
     * Get the list of objects to be exposed from this
     * component
     * @return RemotableDescriptor This descriptor
stores the list
     *  of objects that are exposed to the clients.
     *
     */
    RemotableDescriptor getExposedObjects();
}

For example XYZComponent can expose some objs it
associated with by :-

 *   public class XYZComponent extends
AbstractLogEnabled
 *              implements ...,Remotable
 *
 *   {
 *       . . . .
 *       . . . .
 *       . . . .
 *    public RemotableDescriptor getExposedObjects()
 *    {
 *       // Here we expose a
object(someObjThatWishesToExposed)
 *       return new
RemotableDescriptor().add("publishName",
 *
someObjThatWillBeExposed,
 *                                            new
Class[]{RemoteInterfaceThatClientSees.class,AnotherRemoteInterface.class});
 *    }
 *    . . . .
 *    . . . .
 *   }
 *

 One can configure the extension handler too with
various transports (altrmi transports)
 over which it  wishes to expose the objects.

 [ Note:
	o The build requires altrmi as well merlin libraries.
	o merlin configuration :  src/conf/remotable.xml
	o ant client   (execute the client)
 /]

Thoughts/Comments?

 Regards,
 Vinay.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: Altrmi- Remotable lifecycle extension

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 13:49, Vinay Chandran wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Attached here is a first cut of a Remotable Extension
>>handler (merlin2 compatible).
>>

><snip/>
>

>>Thoughts/Comments?
>>

>tres cool. Does seem like it could use a little polishing =)

Agreed - but I really like the test-case approach!
A little more documentation and error handling and this would be looking
really good - and we can put in plce some links to this on the
excalibur/container package (relative to generic extensions),
excalibur/merlin and exaclibur/fortress (as avaiable extensions), and
under AltRMI as an example of application useage.

Cheers, Steve.

>I definately have a need for stuff like this. I've been thinking about
>using merlin's Lifecycle Extensions for integration with Axis...this is
>somewhat similar...
>
>cheers,
>
>Leo
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Altrmi- Remotable lifecycle extension

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

>On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 05:31, Vinay Chandran wrote:
>

>>>tres cool. Does seem like it could use a little
>>>polishing =)
>>>

>>Sure it does .
>>

>>>I definately have a need for stuff like this. I've
>>>been thinking about
>>>using merlin's Lifecycle Extensions for integration
>>>with Axis...this is
>>>somewhat similar...
>>>

>>I too do have  similar needs.
>>

>I am going to try and find time to extract and clean the bits from an
>app we're working on that deal with this to integrate it with the work
>you did.
>
>Someone figured out a way to get 100 hours from a single day yet? ;)

I wish ...!

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Vinay Chandran wrote:

>>tres cool. Does seem like it could use a little
>>polishing =)
>>

>Sure it does .
>

>>I definately have a need for stuff like this. I've
>>been thinking about
>>using merlin's Lifecycle Extensions for integration
>>with Axis...this is
>>somewhat similar...
>>

>I too do have  similar needs.

I'm been thinking about this but not in terms of the extension
mechanisms.  In Merlin there is this thing called Resource.  A Resource
is basically a utility class that encapsulates a component profile and
lifestyle.  It provides access to the component meta model (but that
could change in the future to be just the services it represents).  I've
been playing around with plug-in Resource factories that let you delcare
how a service is published.  This allows for the potential to publish
the defintion AND service access point without actually activating the
component.  With something liker Axis, a valuable feature would be to be
able to build a SOAP definition of a service based on the resource,
then, a client reading the SOAP deifntion would actually invoke a
service against the resource - which would then handle the service
activation (if not already activated).  I have something along these
linked already working over CORBA - ability to publish service
descriptions but delaying object activation until a client actually
needs to use the service in question.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
> tres cool. Does seem like it could use a little
> polishing =)

Sure it does .
> I definately have a need for stuff like this. I've
> been thinking about
> using merlin's Lifecycle Extensions for integration
> with Axis...this is
> somewhat similar...

I too do have  similar needs.

Vinay .

Re: Altrmi- Remotable lifecycle extension

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.