Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/06/07 03:05:41 UTC

Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Hi,

If you download and install Pixel Bender on OSX and install it (as per the README), the default path it installs to is:
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities-CS5.localized/Pixel Bender Toolkit 2

It's contains spaces which may be an issue.

I currently get this when trying to build:
Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "${env.PIXELBENDER_HOME}/pbutil"

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/30/12 8:45 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for responses, Alex,
>
> OK, let's say we (which is probably me...) will find a way to reduce
> the Linux SDK to the compiler and the necessary utilities, and then,
> perhaps try to port some / what will appear to be more feasible so it
> works on Linux.
> There are other things like the player versions (Linux version is
> already 2 minor versions behind the official release and by the time
> of the next Flex release, Flex will not support any player that works
> on Linux, or the other way around, depending on how you look at it).
>
> I was looking at LightSpark, http://lightspark.github.com/ which seems
> to be actively worked on, but the project is still raw. I have
> successfully installed it on FC 17 amd64 and will soon try it on Linux
> Mint 13 amd64. I don't know yet how much it is different from Adobe
> player, but, if Linux is considered, then, perhaps, it would make more
> sense to align with this player.
>
> All of which in the end means a whole lot of changes to the existing
> building procedure...
> I'm not suggesting anything, just thinking aloud.

Justin put in some changes to make Apache Flex compile all the way back to
10.2, IIRC.  If future changes are written in ways to continue to make that
possible, I would think you would be able to keep Apache Flex running on the
latest Linux player from Adobe.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/30/12 6:09 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah... sorry for the noise, I just realized that Linux is never
> mentioned as a supported platform, so, my understanding it, it is not
> possible by design? :/
> Well, sorry if that's the case.
Yeah, Apache rules say that we have to have source for everything and the
pixelbender filters require the PB toolkit that doesn't support linux.

Feel free to propose a way around it.  Maybe on linux it can get the pbj
files from an old distribution.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/30/12 4:54 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> This is perhaps an old thread, but this is the only one that mentions
> pbutil. So, I'll ask here.
>
> I'm trying to build the SDK on Linux, and it wants me to have this
> file in the PIXELBENDER_HOME - I don't have it, and can't find where
> to download it from.
>
> But secondly, seriously... why PixelBender is at all a mandatory
> requirement? I never used it, and am not going to. It does not work
> for me at all on any chip, nor AMD neither NVidia (didn't try Intell
> or Matrox, but I wouldn't believe in miracles...) what's the point of
> making it a requirement? Can it just fail silently and let the rest of
> the build continue or be excluded at all, if PixelBender is not
> installed?
There are some default pbj files in the SDK in order to achieve "parity".
They have to be generated from source.  Feel free to find a way around it.

> It would be also cool, if AIR was not a requirement either, and was an
> opt-in for the build, because, obviously, there's nothing you can do
> with it on Linux...
Those of you using Linux are welcome to propose ways to get around these
requirements.

> Also, what's the plan regarding the player? Adobe dropped all support
> since 11.2. Will you drop Linux support in the next version as well?
> If not, how are you going to compile that, when there's no
> corresponding player?
Again, those of you using Linux will have to take responsibility for making
sure things work to your satisfaction.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Re: Pixel Bender and broken build (on OSX)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Works for me on OSX with spaces, but I've set up an environment variable.
> Are you using a properties file?  Did you escape the spaces?

Yes I'm using a properties files (based on the template file).  Rather embarrassingly I forgot to remove the # off the start of the PIXELBENDER_HOME line when I copied that block from the template file, it now builds fine.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.