Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> on 2008/09/23 17:54:32 UTC

Graduation process

Hi guys,

So it seems that everybody agrees it's time to get ready for graduation.
There's a nice guide that details the whole process here:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

The trickiest part is to prepare a resolution for the board to adopt.
Ultimately, that's what we will vote on, what the incubator PMC will vote on
and what the board adopts. And the trickiest parts in the resolution itself
are:

   - The target: Top Level Project or subproject of another TLP. For buildr
   I think it would be TLP but if someone things otherwise it's a good time to
   mention it.
   - The charter: this should define the scope of the project. It should be
   short, sweet and non ambiguous but sufficiently large in scope to cover
   further expansion of the project. So getting the proper wording can be
   tough. There are example here [1] and if you want more I can point you to
   others.
   - The project chair: I'll send another e-mail about that.
   - The future PMC: actually that's the easiest, it's usually the same
   composition as the PPMC.

So at this point, it would be nice if someone drafted a first charter
paragraph so we can increment from it. The rest of the resolution can easily
be created using the charter and a few names.

Thanks,
Matthieu

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>wrote:

> I'm fine with this one, unless somebody objects (nobody hasn't so far),
> what about using this one for the board resolution we'll vote on?

:%s/nobody hasn't/nobody has/

Re: Graduation process

Posted by lacton <la...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> wrote:
>> I'm fine with this one, unless somebody objects (nobody hasn't so far), what
>> about using this one for the board resolution we'll vote on?
>
> +1

+1

Lacton

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Re: Graduation process

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> >> +1
> >>

> > We can't really be serious about that, right?
>
> I don't have a problem injecting a bit of humor.  Software should be,
> besides all the other boring requirements, also fun to use, enjoyable,
> something you look forward to on a Monday morning.

I'm fine with humor too but the charter will stick around for quite a while
(as long as possible actually) and there are some jokes that tend to grow
old. So I liked the first version better:

"... that the Apache Buildr project be responsible for the creation and
  maintenance of a scripting-based build system based on the principles
  of DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself), convenience and flexibility."

Maybe the "convenience and flexibility" could be replaced by something a bit
more focused but until that I like it. Is "agile" too overloaded?

Matthieu

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Sep 26, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Assaf Arkin wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Assaf Arkin wrote:

>>> +1
>>>

>> We can't really be serious about that, right?
>
> I don't have a problem injecting a bit of humor.  Software should be,
> besides all the other boring requirements, also fun to use, enjoyable,
> something you look forward to on a Monday morning.
>
> It should also have a philosophy, and a good charter would focus on
> what the software is, rather than what it does.  BTW right now
> Buildr's tagline is "a build system that doesn't suck".

Recall that the resolution is a formal, legal vehicle which
creates the PMC within the ASF. The resolution isn't a place
for marketing the project or the codebase, but simply to
define what it is.

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Graduation process

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Sep 23, 2008, at 6:17 PM, "Tal Rotbart" <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "... that the Apache Buildr project be responsible for the creation
> and maintenance of a scripting-based build system based on the
> principles of DRY, DIY and doesn't make you cry."
>
> :-P

+1

Assaf

Re: Graduation process