Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2004/03/11 10:20:26 UTC

[Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Hi,

It seems that the following line was added to the Cactus descriptor:

<depend project="commons-codec"/>

However, Cactus does not use directly commons-code. It may be used by a
cactus dependency like Tomcat, Commons HttpClient or others. Wouldn't it
be better to add this dependency to the project directly using it and
then use an "inherit=runtime" or something similar for Cactus?

Thanks

-Vincent
Wanna see JUnit in Action?
(http://manning.com/massol)

Re: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> and I don't have access to the cactus descriptors ;-)

Ooops, in fact I have, sorry.

I'll make the change.

Stefan

Re: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:

> Again the problem is the same. I don't have access to a gump machine
> and I don't want to make a CVS change if I can verify it still
> works...

and I don't have access to the cactus descriptors ;-)

> I think if you want to make Gump more popular (in the line of
> thought of the [RT] thread), this is one area to improve.

We know, and AFAIK rescue is on the way - a dedicated ASF machine to
run Gump.

> Otherwise the Gump committers will end up doing all the work...

Which Gump committers? 8-)

Stefan

Re: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> I never though that people would have a problem modifying the metadata
> files for fear of breaking gump.
>
> But, I wonder, if your build is already broken, why are you afraid of
> breaking it?

I suspect folks are nervous of breaking other's builds via their mistakes. I
know I was, and only time has taught me otherwise. Gump isn't that
sensitive. It is possible, but unlikely, that a reasonable change will take
down Gump for all, and I've not seen it happen.

My advice to folks would be commit away and don't be nervous.

regards

Adam

Re: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>.
The least it could do is email you back the diff to patch your own copy
of cvs with, or to spam this list with :)

Scott

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

oh, ok.

--
Stefano.

RE: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

In this specific case, it's not broken. It's a refactoring (replacing
the dependency on commons-code with some inherit on httpclient). The
problem is that I'm not a gumpy expert and I don't know if this change
is the correct one. Stefan, on the other hand, has had much more
experience and I'm sure he's more confident in the changes he's making
(even though, I'm sure he tries them on his machine from time to time
before or after committing the changes) :-)

More generally, if the build is broken and I make a change to fix it,
I'd like to be sure it fixes the build. Otherwise I'll have to wait till
the following morning, try something else, wait again, try something
else. I remember doing this in the past and it took me about 1 week or

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

> The way I code is as follows:
> 1/ make a change on my local machine
> 2/ verify it works by running some kind of tests
>
> If I don't do 2/ then there is a high chance it will break something and
> I'll only know the following day.
>
> To do 2, there are 2 solutions I can see:
> 1/ install gumpy locally but that's not very easy to do
> 2/ have a kind of "self-service gumpy" that you can start on demand
>
> What do you think?

Interesting.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Stefano,

[snip]

> > Again the problem is the same. I don't have access to a gump machine
and
> > I don't want to make a CVS change if I can verify it still works...
> >
> > I think if you want to make Gump more popular (in the line of
thought of
> > the [RT] thread), this is one area to improve. A self-service Gump
or
> > something similar so that people can help modify descriptors and
verify
> > they still work. Otherwise the Gump committers will end up doing all
the
> > work...
>
> Vincent, I'm actually very curious and insterested in your comment:
what

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:

> Cactus does not use directly commons-code. It may be used by a
> cactus dependency like Tomcat, Commons HttpClient or
> others.

I think it is httpclient.

> Wouldn't it be better to add this dependency to the project directly
> using it and then use an "inherit=runtime" or something similar for
> Cactus?

+1

Stefan