Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/01/04 07:06:16 UTC

[users@httpd] FAQ: It Worked!

[subject changed for easy searching]

No, there's nothing wrong when Apache simply says 'It Worked!'.  You have
installed Apache.  The old, lengthy message confused many end users/customers
of the web sites which would upgrade from time to time, and sent them running
to the foundation with a post "HELP!  Apache took over my computer!"

The new message is equally confusing to end users/customers of those web sites,
but at least the customer isn't running here for help.  Perhaps the new message
is a little too terse, but we will never return to reporting that "Apache was
successfully installed" because that's what sent users running to us.

Bill