Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Martijn Brinkers <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/29 17:57:50 UTC

upgrade notes for CXF 2.1

Hi,

These were the steps I had to do to upgrade from 2.05 to 2.1 (posted to
the list in case someone is having similar problems).

- CXF requires new versions of JAXB and JAXWS. Because I use Java 6
build 1.6.0_03-b05 (comes with Ubuntu 7.10) I had to add the new JAXB
and JAXWS libs to the endorsed dir (default <java-home>/lib/endorsed
unless the java.endorsed.dirs system property is set). See:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/standards/.

Apparently newer versions of Java 6 have an updated JAXWS but I haven't
tried that.

- CXF 2.05 was working happily together with Spring 2.5 and Hibernate 3
but 2.1 required an asm version that was not compatible with Hibernate.
The fix was to install cglib-nodep-2.1_3 (from Spring release) and
remove the old cglib version used by Hibernate. Hibernate now no longer
need the 1.5.3 asm version so you can replace it with the version used
by CXF.

- In one of my webservices I returned a Set. This was working with 2.05
but not with 2.1 (java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.LinkedHashSet
cannot be cast to java.util.List). This only happens when asm is on the
classpath. I guess it was working previously because 2.05 used
reflection because asm was too old. Now with the new version asm is used
and that seems not to work with a Set so I had to replace the Set with
List.

Although the steps were non trivial at first, especially since the
version just increased by a minor 0.05, ;-) CXF is again running fine
and seems a lot faster.

Thanks,

Martijn Brinkers

Re: upgrade notes for CXF 2.1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I've started a page at:
http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF/21-migration-guide.html
to document this.

More updates would be great.

> - In one of my webservices I returned a Set. This was working with
> 2.05 but not with 2.1 (java.lang.ClassCastException:
> java.util.LinkedHashSet cannot be cast to java.util.List).

I'd consider this a bug.  If you could log a Jira with a test case, that
would be great and we can hopefully get it fixed for 2.1.1.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA