Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by pdk <pd...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/15 23:00:33 UTC

Media entries and time elements

This isn't really a specific question about Abdera, but this is the
only place I know to have a discussion on Atom.

When a media object is updated, should any of the time fields in the
corresponding entry be updated?  Which ones?

The problem with updating the modified or edited time in the entry is
how do you distinguish modifications to the entry vs changes to the
media.

The problem I'm trying to address is having a collection that contains
entries that correspond to various media files.  I have an client that
polls the collection's feed for media objects to process.  When the
raw media is processed, the client updates the summary portion in the
corresponding entry.  This, of course, causes the entry's modified
time to be updated.  The next poll of the feed with now include this
entry as it has been 'recently modified'.

One solution is for the client to parse the summary to see if its
already processed the object.  I wonder if there are other solutions?

Thanks for your time.  If there is a better place to post these types
of Atom specific questions, please let me know.

philip

URI of abdera-spring.xsd file?

Posted by Jeff Klein <je...@markmonitor.com>.
Hello All,

Is the adbdera-spring schema document published anywhere? The URI in the
sample Spring context file in the Spring Integration guide
(http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ABDERA/Spring+Integration)
seems to be invalid.

http://abdera.apache.org/schemas/abdera-spring.xsd

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

RE: Media entries and time elements

Posted by Brian Smith <br...@briansmith.org>.
David Calavera wrote:
> Well, I read a great article on atom dates some time ago but
> I don't find it now, but it said something like that:
>
> the "app:edited" date should change every time a client does
> a change in an entry but the "updated" date should change
> when a client does a significant change. For instance, if I
> have a blog engine that uses atomPub, if I correct a word the
> "app:edited" date should change but if I add a new paragraph
> both dates should change.

Correct. See section 10.2 of the spec: "The server SHOULD change the value
of this element every time an Entry Resource or an associated Media Resource
has been edited."

Also, see http://www.dehora.net/journal/2008/06/18/dates-in-atom/.

- Brian

Re: Media entries and time elements

Posted by David Calavera <da...@gmail.com>.
Well, I read a great article on atom dates some time ago but I don't find it
now, but it said something like that:

the "app:edited" date should change every time a client does a change in an
entry but the "updated" date should change when a client does a significant
change. For instance, if I have a blog engine that uses atomPub, if I
correct a word the "app:edited" date should change but if I add a new
paragraph both dates should change.

By the way, there is an atom specific mail list where you can ask all these
questions.

http://www.imc.org/atom-protocol/

Regards

--