Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/18 05:11:35 UTC

Migrate from Bugzilla to GitHub Issues

Hi,

Have you considered migrating from Bugzilla to GitHub Issues?

I think co-locating issues, code, and PRs at GitHub would make it easier to
browse both issues and code.

I guess many POI users browse code (including POI code) in GitHub,
and they would likely use GitHub PRs (POI PRs and PRs for the other
projects).

It is inconvenient to require Bugzilla login for the sole purpose of filing
an issue.

It is inconvenient that search over bugs is disconnected from search over
code.

If bugs are migrated to GitHub, then a single GitHub search would work for
everything: code, issues, PRs

GitHub allows richer comment formatting (e.g. code highlight).

GitHub shows code preview when you mention link to code in an issue comment.

Moving issues to GitHub would unlock cross-references between projects
(e.g. users could mention Tomcat issues)

so others can see which projects reference the same issue, and sometimes
you could peek into the workarounds.

I'm working on migrating Apache JMeter (Bugzilla -> GitHub Issues), see

https://lists.apache.org/thread/xmccss17s6sm8wzcm56d7sr6py663s7w ,

and I have a migration script https://github.com/vlsi/bugzilla2github

It preserves bugs, comments, attachments, and links between bugs.

Here's a recent dry-run for JMeter:
https://github.com/vlsi/tmp-jmeter-issues

For reference, the first bug in JMeter was filed on 2003, and we look
forward to migrating all the ~5K bugs to GitHub issues.

LLVM moved from Bugzilla to GitHub a year ago (50K bugs since 2003)

WDYT?

Vladimir

Re: Migrate from Bugzilla to GitHub Issues

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
ASF projects must store source and source releases on ASF controlled properties. A significant amount of work has been done in the last decade to connect Gitbox with GitHub.

If anyone personally has trouble with Microsoft’s owning GitHub they can use the gitbox mirrors.

14 years ago we had significant discussions around trusting Microsoft. Let’s not go there again.

If someone wants to volunteer to make CodeBerg or Gitlab or whatever work with the ASF you are looking at a major effort.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>2. What will happen to the  mail list archives with links to Bugzilla ?
>Will it possible to redirect Bugzilla urls to the migrated GitHub Issues?

I have not explored the possibility to install automatic redirects,
however, for JMeter we'll add a comment to every bug that links the
corresponding GitHub issue.

I know Spring uses a pattern where their JIRA links redirect to GitHub
unless there's "?redirect=false" in the URL.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Keller <pk...@globalphasing.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Vladimirov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vladimir,

Do you have examples of successful transition from Bugzilla to GitHub
issues for Apache projects? (already completed ones)

Best regards,
Sergey

Чт, 18 авг. 2022 г. в 08:11, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com

--