Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hughes, Tim" <ti...@cgey.com> on 2001/07/05 14:38:06 UTC

RE: has anyone ever got the feature (defined in web. xml) to work?

Hi,

We are trying to use the <error-page> facility but without any success. Does
Tomcat implement this or not?
Has anyone seen it working?

Tim Hughes

Von: Hughes, Tim [mailto:tim.hughes@cgey.com]
Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 09:39
An: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Betreff: RE: http errors

Hi,

You will find a full copy of the **default** web.xml in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/.

What is the default web.xml --> Extract from the user guide (which you will
find at TOMCAT_HOME\doc\uguide\tomcat_ug.html: recommended reading)
[A detailed description of web.xml and the web application structure
(including directory structure and configuration) is available in chapters
9, 10 and 14 of the  <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/> Servlet API
Spec and we are not going to write about it.

There is however a small Tomcat related "feature" that is related to
web.xml. Tomcat lets the user define defaultw eb.xml values for all context
by putting a default web.xml file in the conf directory. When constructing a
new Context, Tomcat uses the default web.xml file as the base configuration
and the application specific web.xml (the one located in the application's
WEB-INF/web.xml), only overwrite these defaults.]

So if you want the error pages to apply to all webapps then you put the
error page tags in the default web.xml like this:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

<web-app>

<!-- IMPORTANT: all the tags that were already in the default web.xml file
should remain in the file -->

<error-page>
<exception-type>javax.servlet.TryagainException</exception-type>
<location>/errors/TryAgain.html</location>
</error-page>

<error-page>
<error-code>503</error-code>

<location>/errors/TryAgain.html</location>
</error-page>

</web-app>

(I assume that you have renamed the directories and files accordingly:
errors directory and TryAgain.html file are only examples).

If you only want the error pages to apply to a particular webapp then you
should create a web.xml file that you place in
TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/yourWebApp/WEB-INF. This file should look like this:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

<web-app>

<error-page>
<exception-type>javax.servlet.TryagainException</exception-type>
<location>/errors/TryAgain.html</location>
</error-page>

<error-page>
<error-code>503</error-code>

<location>/errors/TryAgain.html</location>
</error-page>

</web-app>

I hope this works.

Tim Hughes