Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> on 2004/08/12 04:45:09 UTC

[users@httpd] mapping a public domain name to a private ip

Hey guys,

maybe you can help me get out of this puzzle...

I want to map many domain names sharing the same public ip address (1.2.3.4) like:

site.abc.com
site.def.net
site.xyz.org

to a single an unique internal ip address:
site.abc.com -> 192.168.0.2
site.def.net -> 192.168.0.3
site.xyz.org -> 192.168.0.4

I could do that with many <virtualhosts> on the public side. The problem is that there will be waaay to many domains (thousands),  and I don't want to run out of memory. Plus I would need to restart apache evertyme a site is added or deleted.

before someone asks I'm doing this because I want to have control over the bandwidth in the kernel level (using pf, ipfw, etc), so I need the requests to each domain to be mapped to a unique internal ip.

Any idea is greatly apreciated.

thanks ;)

Re: [users@httpd] mapping a public domain name to a private ip

Posted by Eimantas Vaiciunas <ei...@sc.vu.lt>.
On Thursday 12 August 2004 05:45, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:
> Any idea is greatly apreciated.
Well you can use 3rd party module mod_vdbh. It uses database to store all of
its' settings AND virtual hosts. I think this would be more efficient.
-----
Eimis

Re: [users@httpd] mapping a public domain name to a private ip

Posted by John Dickson <ap...@miwire.com>.
I'm guessing BIND to your IP's with poss. multiple instances of httpd parents.

"Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> wrote ..