Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wolfgang Mutter <mu...@comu.de> on 2001/05/15 16:45:18 UTC

Re[2]: Tomcat and SSL

Hi,

we had the same problem, so wie wrote an Java program to handle this !

http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm

Yours
Wolfgang

> Hi All,
> I need to setup Tomcat standlone with SSL support, I do it according to
> Tomcat's user-guide in the following step using tomcat account:
> I modified the java.security before did these

>>keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
>>openssl req -new -out REQ.pem -keyout KEY.pem
>>openssl req -x509 -in REQ.pem -key KEY.pem -out CERT.pem
> then verify
>>openssl req -verify -in REQ.pem
>>openssl req -verify -in REQ.pem -key KEY.pem
>>openssl req -text -in REQ.pem
> everything looks well, but
> when I do:
>>keytool -import -v -trustcacerts -alias tomcat -file CERT.pem
> get the error messages,
> Enter keystore password:  changeit
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Public keys in reply and keystore don't
> match

> So tried to delete all files in /home/tomcat: .keystore and *.pem
> So I want to repeat the above steps
>>  keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA get the error messages
> Enter keystore password:  changeit
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Key pair not generated, alias <tomcat>
> already exists

> I never use SSL before and very confused now, are there some documentation
> to do this step by step? any help are highly appreciated!

> Kevin

mfg
Wolfgang Mutter
Computer Mutter GmbH

Re[2]: Tomcat and SSL

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
Wolfgang;

Just found out; you can convert a Thawte cert with IE 5.
Import the text formatted cert and export it in DER format.
Seems to work ok.