Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/25 12:05:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] In the event of adopting the owl as project mascot, what will we call it?

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-owl-final-large.png

When I created this owl, I gave it the name "Couché Tard" which is a french
nickname for an owl (literal translation: "Sleeps Late")....

Early versions of this owl have ended up with the nickname "Shotgun Owl"
due to the belly feathers being white in the initial versions, which some
people thought made it look like it had been shot.

Some people feel that we shouldn't name a mascot...

As creator of the graphic, I could force the issue... but I would much
rather if the community has a name that the community wants.

Please provide your suggestions in this thread. If the owl is adopted as a
mascot, we will have a second vote thread to confirm its name.

I personally recommend a gender neutral name.

Re: [DISCUSS] In the event of adopting the owl as project mascot, what will we call it?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Heh, I don't draw anymore but it wouldn't seem that hard for a good cartoonist.

Matt

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
How about a rabbinical owl?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
How about a rabbinical owl?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
>From the peanut gallery: someone had complained that the owl as a
mascot disregarded the Yiddish origin of the term "Maven." How about
naming the owl something like Abraham, Jacob, or Moses? :D

Matt

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
I really don't think we need to name the owl, do we? Are we just naming it
for fun or is there a reason we want to?

Cheers,
Paul

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: [DISCUSS] In the event of adopting the owl as project mascot, what will we call it?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: [DISCUSS] In the event of adopting the owl as project mascot, what will we call it?

Posted by Jeroen Hoek <je...@lable.org>.
I would recommend leaving it without a name. The mascot can help in

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
I suggest Darth Mowl. But not seriously ;-).