Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/23 08:46:22 UTC

Distribution and Tomcat

I'm reading in earnest the wiki entries regarding collection distribution
and the master/slave operational basis.  This is very similar to what we've
used previously in our operation based on the lucene core.  We're deploying
initially on Tomcat 5.5.17, Linux RHEL 3 and the latest bits from Solr.

My question concerns how Solr handles slave querying & configuration.

- How is failover achieved?
- How is performance load balancing achieved?

thanks,
jeff r.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
That's great information, thanks Bill

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Based on this information, it doesn't sound as if any failover or LB
: capacity in Tomcat is being used.  Is that correct?

Correct, Solr doesn't try to take advantage of any special features in any
one servlet container (Tomcat or otherwise)

-Hoss

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
O/E on the ping.  Just found the adminPing config setting.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Re: Distribution and Tomcat

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
Solr itself does not handle failover and load balancing of the slave
servers.
You can put a load balancer in front of the pool of slave servers for that.
You can add and remove slave servers from the pool dynamicly without
making any change of the master and other slaves.

Bill