Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/23 22:13:52 UTC

openoffice|ooffice|office instead soffice?

Hi

I remember that some time ago started a discuss about the change of
binary name "soffice" (and its others names - scalc, sdraw, etc) by
other that not *s*office, and I not remember the "final of  this
novel".

Is possible? IMO, i (as newbie) haven't idea. Is interesting? IMHO, is
necessary!

Some good soul can give me a light about this question? ;-)

Best,
Claudio

Re: openoffice|ooffice|office instead soffice?

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
2013/4/23 Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>:
> Hi

Hi.

> I remember that some time ago started a discuss about the change of
> binary name "soffice" (and its others names - scalc, sdraw, etc) by
> other that not *s*office, and I not remember the "final of  this
> novel".

+1

> Is possible? IMO, i (as newbie) haven't idea. Is interesting? IMHO, is
> necessary!

IMHO, I also think necessary this change.

    Albino

Re: openoffice|ooffice|office instead soffice?

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2013/4/23 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>:
> It is a fact that "soffice" has been outdated for about 10 years. But
> previous discussions on the topics showed that, while it would be feasible
> to rename the alias, there are documented procedures that still rely on the
> name "soffice" when they must launch/connect to OpenOffice. I can't be more
> precise at the moment, but if you need further details I may dig a bit.

Thanks Andrea and RGB.

I think that the RGB's suggestion is the better approach for us after
4.0 release, including his suggestion to use "aoo" (very short!). ;-)

Anyway, i see that is a consensus this question and that need attention soon.

Regards,

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/4/24 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>

> Claudio Filho wrote:
>
>> I remember that some time ago started a discuss about the change of
>> binary name "soffice" (and its others names - scalc, sdraw, etc) by
>> other that not *s*office, and I not remember the "final of  this
>> novel".
>>

> It is a fact that "soffice" has been outdated for about 10 years. But
> previous discussions on the topics showed that, while it would be feasible
> to rename the alias, there are documented procedures that still rely on the
> name "soffice" when they must launch/connect to OpenOffice. I can't be more
> precise at the moment, but if you need further details I may dig a bit.

If legacy procedures are the main problem, what about a "transition
period"? If I understand it right, the "aliases" are just scripts that run
the right binary, is it possible to have more than one alias? If yes, let's
say that during 4.x life cycle we have "soffice" AND "aoo", both launching
the program, and then on 5.0 we drop "soffice". Does something like that
makes sense or is just more a trouble than a solution?

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.