Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Al Shapiro <al...@yahoo.com> on 2013/12/21 00:12:58 UTC

Scheme for Multiple files creation...

Hi! All,

I am a newbie to the Semantic Web and tdb's, and I need an answer to the following question(s)...

Do I need a separate Scheme for each Triple Store file (DB) I want to create?

or Can I use the same Scheme for Multiple file creation?

Also, if someone could possibly point me to a web-site with this info. I would really appreciate it...

Thank you,

Al

Re: Scheme for Multiple files creation...

Posted by Al Shapiro <al...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Andy...

Your info is very helpful...

Al

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:59 AM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

On 21/12/13 21:00, Al Shapiro wrote:
> Thanks Chris...
>
> My ultimate goal is to create two (2) separate TDB's because of the
> number of triples for one will be a much greater than the other...

How many in each?

> And, the larger TDB (containing many more triples)will be accessed a
> great deal more then the smaller TDB...
>
> My original question had to do with multiple schemes, which I
> understand to be represented by "a Model" in Jena...

Not really - a Model can contain any RDF.  It may be more useful to you
to have separate models, but it's not necessary.

You could just put all the information in one model then you can easily
query across both at the same time.

> All and all I believe, I need to create two, but I wanted to get some
> confirmation about it...

You can have multiple models in the same TDB database using named graphs.

And maybe use unionDefaultGraph to have everything appear as one model
when its really in two models in the same database.

    Andy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Al Shapiro <al...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Chris...

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 5:16 AM, Chris_Dollin <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, December 20, 2013 03:12:58 PM Al Shapiro wrote:
> Hi! All,
>
> I am a newbie to the Semantic Web and tdb's, and I need an answer to the
> following question(s)...
>
> Do I need a separate Scheme for each Triple Store file (DB) I want to
> create?

I'm not sure what you're really asking.

TDB is a particular triplestore, part of Jena, and you don't need any
Scheme at all to use it. It stores RDF (Subject, predicate, Object) triples
[1] and the program [2] using TDB can store, retrieve, and delete
triples as it wishes.

You can if you wish write an RDFS (RDF Schema) or OWL description of
whatever RDF vocabulary you have defined, but TDB istself won't
do anything with it.

> or Can I use the same Scheme for Multiple file creation?
>
> Also, if someone could possibly point me to a web-site with this info. I
> would really appreciate it...

I think you need a better question first.

Chris

[1] Well actually quads for allowing multiple graphs in one TDB, but let's
    not worry about that right now.

[2] Only one program [process] can talk directly to a particular TDB at
    a time. But that program can serve RDF to multiple clients; for
    example, Jena Fuseki.

Re: Scheme for Multiple files creation...

Posted by Chris_Dollin <eh...@gmail.com>.