Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/03/28 23:12:28 UTC

running gump tests

Hi gang!

trying to learn something about unit testing python software...

   [lsimons@lsd /data3/gump/gump-install]$ export \
     PYTHONPATH=/data3/gump/gump-install/python/
   [lsimons@lsd /data3/gump/gump-install]$ sh gumpytest.sh

(...)

   INFO:gump:Performed [29] tests with [15] issues.

I tried running this as ajack too, which resulted in

   INFO:gump:Performed [66] tests with [1] issues.

yet the output included lots of statements like

   ERROR:gump:Failed to download [http://no_such_url_to_test_missing].
   Details: [Errno socket error] (-2, 'Name or service not known')

* Is this to be expected?
* How am I supposed to run these tests on my local machine?
* Do I need a profile or anything like that set up?
* Are there fancy python equivalents to stuff like junitreport and
   clover for python?
* Are there docs that answer these Qs somewhere?

--
thanks for your patience, and g'night!

- Leo Simons

Re: running gump tests

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Does gumpy support regexp nagging? If so, we could regexp against
>
>    INFO:gump:Performed [68] tests with [0] issues.
>
> ie
>
>    /\[[1-9]+\] issues/

No, I know Stefan wants it but I've not found time to implement it. Python
Gump is pretty much 'exit code' based, which we are getting by with for now.
FWIIW: This script sets it's exit code based off success of all, or not.

BTW: I was going to add it, but I see it is there:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/GUMP-16

regards,

Adam

Re: running gump tests

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> The way you did was created so this could occur:
>
>     http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/gump/gump-test.html

cool!

Does gumpy support regexp nagging? If so, we could regexp against

   INFO:gump:Performed [68] tests with [0] issues.

ie

   /\[[1-9]+\] issues/

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: running gump tests

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> trying to learn something about unit testing python software...

Cool.

>    [lsimons@lsd /data3/gump/gump-install]$ export \
>      PYTHONPATH=/data3/gump/gump-install/python/
>    [lsimons@lsd /data3/gump/gump-install]$ sh gumpytest.sh
>
> (...)
>
>    INFO:gump:Performed [29] tests with [15] issues.
>
> I tried running this as ajack too, which resulted in
>
>    INFO:gump:Performed [66] tests with [1] issues.

As :

    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/GumpDevelopment

You might wish to try more directly with PYTHONPATH set, and CWD as gump's
python directory.
    python gump/test/pyunit.py

You can pass wildcarded arguments, e.g.

    python gump/test/pyunit.py *Properties*

> yet the output included lots of statements like
>
>    ERROR:gump:Failed to download [http://no_such_url_to_test_missing].
>    Details: [Errno socket error] (-2, 'Name or service not known')

> * Is this to be expected?

Yeah, I tried unit testing bad situation ('cos we hope we don't see them too
often in live metadata). I didn't find a way to tell the log not to report
them, they were only testing, so you see this.

> * How am I supposed to run these tests on my local machine?

The way you did was created so this could occur:

    http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/gump/gump-test.html

I'd hand run the script.

> * Do I need a profile or anything like that set up?

It is trying to use a test one in gump/test/resources/...

> * Are there fancy python equivalents to stuff like junitreport and
>    clover for python?

No clue. It was only after I hacked gump.test.pyunit.py that I learned a
real pyunit exists. I've not had chance to go investigate it. I think it is
time to move from 'roll your own' to 'install Python packages' approach.
It'll slow Gump installation down, but is better for it's development, I
feel. [i.e. maybe we ought remove logging from gump/python, since it is in
Python 2.3 and can be downloaded for Python 2.2. I just hadn't wanted to
face that on all machines yet.]

> * Are there docs that answer these Qs somewhere?

Not really. We ought cut-n-paste them to:

        http://wiki.apache.org/gump/GumpDevelopment

regards

Adam