Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2003/06/22 03:18:47 UTC

Structure renderers & area trees (Re: startup refactoring)

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 20.06.2003 21:23:50 Glen Mazza wrote:
>
>>If it does, it determines *which* type
>>of area tree to create (Structure or MIF or the other
>>one)--based again on the render_type.  The business
>>logic for this would be in FOTreeBuilder.
>

> But no area tree is generated when a StructureHandler (RTF/MIF) is
> active.

To take this off on a bit of a tangent, I have always been a little
sceptical about the possiblility of realising the "structure renderers"
without the area tree.  It seems to me to depend on whether the renderer
in question follows a page definitions/flows model.  I don't know
anything about the structure of either RTF or MIF, but, for example, if
one of these formats defined page formats (size, orientation, margins)
at the beginning of each section, but then had structures corresponding
to the data on individual pages, then pagination, i.e. layout, would
have to be performed before the structure could be rendered.

Can percentages be resolved without at least some degree of area tree
construction?

Bertrand is probably in the best position to comment wrt RTF.  Is anyone
familiar with MIF.  Does it simply define page structures and flows?

Peter
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html