Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp> on 2002/03/05 08:11:22 UTC

DefaultConfigurationSerializer whitespace in XML

I was wondering if there was any way to configure SAX to create XML
which contains whitespace.
Currently the XML produced does not contain any linefeeds or whitespace.

Ie, I would like to be able to change this output:
---
<a><b><c1>foo</c1><c2>foo</c2></b></a>
---

---
<a>
<b>
<c1>foo</c1>
<c2>foo</c2>
</b>
</a>
---

Or something a little more human readable.

Thanks Leif

Re: DefaultConfigurationSerializer whitespace in XML

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@silveregg.co.jp>.

Peter Donald wrote:

>Theres a method setOutputStream in DefaultConfigSerializer. You need to add a
>line similar to
>
> m_format.put(OutputKeys.INDENT,"yes");

You were exactly correct.

This will add line feeds after each element.  It does not however do any
space indentation to place
the xml in a tree like form:

---
|<a>
|    <b>
|        <c1>
|            foo
|        </c1
|        <c1>
|            foo
|        </c1
|    </b>
|</a>
---

Still it is a lot better and more readable than before.  Thanks.

>I forget exact code but the above should give you a hint. If you could make
>the serializer configurable so that it generated "nice" XML if you did
>something like
>
>serializer.setIndent( true );

Committed.

Cheers,

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Theres a method setOutputStream in DefaultConfigSerializer. You need to add a
line similar to

 m_format.put(OutputKeys.INDENT,"yes");

I forget exact code but the above should give you a hint. If you could make
the serializer configurable so that it generated "nice" XML if you did
something like

serializer.setIndent( true );

Or at least allowed you to overide it then that would be great.

--
Cheers,

Pete