Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/04/24 17:50:15 UTC

Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
are looking to update our logo.

We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
your feedback on these designs.

You can find the survey here:

http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/

Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24 April 2013 18:32, Virgil Arrington <cu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Thank you for the opportunity to give input into the new logo. I just took
>> the survey and, while I appreciated the opportunity to give comments on
>> individual logos, I wanted to just give a general observation.
>>
>> Of all the logos I saw, only one had a serif typeface. I think the use of
>> a classic serif typeface (Garamond, Linux Libertine, Goudy, etc.) might
>> work well in the logo.
>>
>> Virgil
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Rob Weir
>> Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:50 AM
>> To: dev@openoffice.apache.org ; marketing@openoffice.apache.**org<ma...@openoffice.apache.org>;
>> users@openoffice.apache.org
>> Subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!
>>

>> The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
>> next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
>> are looking to update our logo.
>>
>> We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
>> your feedback on these designs.
>>
>> You can find the survey here:
>>
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/**index.php/815178/<http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>
> Thanks rob, very nice job.
>
> I assume we will at some point go in a second round with just a few logos,
> would it be possible (at that time) to have these logos additional as:
> Logo for the product (sw)
> Favicon

I assume we do something like that.  Take the top scoring logos and
refine them, make take the best ideas and combine.  It will probably
depend on the results.  For example, if there is one logo that is way
out front, scoring far more than any other, then we probably want to
focus on that one.  But if there are several that scored near the top
then we'll need to discuss more.

My personal preference is to discuss and reach consensus where
possible, but vote where necessary.

-Rob

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2013/4/24 janI <ja...@apache.org>:
> I assume we will at some point go in a second round with just a few logos,
> would it be possible (at that time) to have these logos additional as:
> Logo for the product (sw)
> Favicon
>
> There are a couple of those I like, which I cannot judge if they would look
> nice in something as small as a favicon.

IMHO, this is the next (absolutly necessary) step. Get a direction
with this survey and in the second time, revise with the winner
designer the details to build a complete visual identity, with all
necessary elements, to AOO 4+. The visual "fine tunning".

Claudio

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Can Ünlüsoy <un...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How long the survey will stay open?

Good question.  Juergen, the Release Manager for the AOO 4.0 release,
made a post recently on the Dev list that said need to wrap this up
soon so any new design can be finished and included into the release.
He suggested a May 17th date for picking a logo.  Based on that I'd
like to keep the survey open until May 12th, so we then have a week
remaining to look at the results before making a final decision.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Can Ünlüsoy <un...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

How long the survey will stay open?

Thanks,
Can Ünlüsoy

2013/4/24 Virgil Arrington <cu...@hotmail.com>

> Rob,
>
> Thank you for the opportunity to give input into the new logo. I just took
> the survey and, while I appreciated the opportunity to give comments on
> individual logos, I wanted to just give a general observation.
>
> Of all the logos I saw, only one had a serif typeface. I think the use of
> a classic serif typeface (Garamond, Linux Libertine, Goudy, etc.) might
> work well in the logo.
>
> Virgil
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Rob Weir
> Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:50 AM
> To: dev@openoffice.apache.org ; marketing@openoffice.apache.**org<ma...@openoffice.apache.org>;
> users@openoffice.apache.org
> Subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!
>

> The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
> next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
> are looking to update our logo.
>
> We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
> your feedback on these designs.
>
> You can find the survey here:
>
> http://survey.openoffice.org/**index.php/815178/<http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/>
>
> Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Can Ünlüsoy
unlusoycan@gmail.com

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Yuzhen Fan <fa...@gmail.com>.
Amazing! many beautiful logo designs, looking forward to results of this
survey ..

Posted by Yuzhen Fan <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Liu Ping <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Great and interesting ! Have submitted my vote! Looking forward to the
result!

2013/4/25 Manuel del Valle <m....@outlook.com>

> > Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:50:15 -0400
> > Subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!
> > From: robweir@apache.org
> > To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; marketing@openoffice.apache.org;
> users@openoffice.apache.org
> >
> > The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
> > next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
> > are looking to update our logo.
> >
> > We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
> > your feedback on these designs.
>
> Great! many nice logo designs, and quite different...
>

> > You can find the survey here:
> >
> > http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
>
> I'm having trouble getting to the actual logo survey with Chrome. After
> answering the first demographical questions, I can't submit them: the
> "Next" button won't work.
> I'm using Chrome Versión 26.0.1410.64 m, on Windows 7 SP1 (x64)
> I tried a couple of times, same result.
>
> I finally submitted my votes using Firefox. I also tried Opera, "next"
> button works fine.
>

> > Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.
>
> Thank you for setting up the survey!
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob

Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣
UX designer

RE: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Manuel del Valle <m....@outlook.com>.

Posted by Daniel Alvaro <jd...@gmail.com>.
I already answered the feedback, there are many  awesome logos

Regards,
Daniel Alvaro

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 24/04/2013 23:05, Rob Weir a écrit :
> The fact that we're doing one thing now does not mean we won't also do
> other things later.  As it says in the survey introduction, this is
> part of an overall "brand refresh" effort.  Other pieces will occur as
> well, but not all at once and certainly not all today.

But it may be less easy to derive a theme from a single logo than building a whole pack having in mind the synergy needed between the main logo and the application icons.

LibreOffice was very consistent about that when they forked. Their visual identity is rather strong and efficient.

But well, let's see how it goes. I just hope that the other icons will be changed shortly afterward. They are the real weak point in the AOO visual brand IMHO (and it's no fun looking at them all day long).

Hagar

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Reason for Time [was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!]

Posted by Tom Panfil <ta...@verizon.net>.
Woody Allen probably derived his idea from Albert Einstein who said:

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

-- Smithsonian Magazine, January 2013, page 16

On 4/24/13 5:05 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'm reminded of an old Woody Allen quote:  "Time is nature's way of
> preventing everything from happening at once".
*-- Tom*

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>
> wrote:
> > Small question: what is the point having a nice/renewed main logo when
> the
> > application icons and their mime type icons are so outdated???
> > What users do really see are the application/MIME icons (in menus and in
> > their file browser), not the main logo that splashes a split second...
> >

> I'm reminded of an old Woody Allen quote:  "Time is nature's way of
> preventing everything from happening at once".
>
> The fact that we're doing one thing now does not mean we won't also do
> other things later.  As it says in the survey introduction, this is
> part of an overall "brand refresh" effort.  Other pieces will occur as
> well, but not all at once and certainly not all today.
>
> -Rob

Well it was fun to do at any rate. I saw SOME icons in one of them, but I
just assumed the other branding elements would come later so they could be
more related to what logo was chosen.

I'm just happy we finally got to this go around.

> > The previous design was so nice. It just lacked some colors, that's all
> (I
> > mean the refresh branding).
> >
> > Even with the 40 logos, there is no proposal that creates a link a common
> > ground to the applications icons (except one with mere copy/paste of the
> > application icons). At least the refresh branding gave a global theme for
> > the whole look and feel.
> >
> > NB1: I did the survey nonetheless.
> > NB2: not subscribed to the marketing list.
> >
> > Hagar
> >

> > Le 24/04/2013 17:50, Rob Weir a écrit :
> >
> >> The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
> >> next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
> >> are looking to update our logo.
> >>
> >> We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
> >> your feedback on these designs.
> >>
> >> You can find the survey here:
> >>
> >> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob

MzK

"There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain."
                        -- Captain Roy Montgomery, "Castle"

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Robin Fowler <ro...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hmm 5 days is likely not enough to iterate the logo, discuss which to use and create an entire brand identity based on it.
>
> If i got this right, it is probably better to end the poll earlier than that. If we're talking about five days just for the logo it should be fine.

Maybe Juergen can clarify what he was thinking then about the May 17th
date.  Was this a date when we need the final artwork ready to check
in?  Or something else?

If we need to we can end the survey earlier.  The results are coming
in fast, nearly 978 responses already.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2013/4/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
>> You get that message if you just go to the root URL
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/.   To get to the actual survey you need
>> to go to http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
>
> Rob, have a config that you can set in the survey to list this survey
> in the root page. I think that is a good practice to list there.

Done.

-Rob

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robin Fowler <ro...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/4/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
>
> Good ! :-)
>
> I'm already spreading.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/4/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
>
> Good ! :-)
>
> I'm already spreading.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/4/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
>> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
>
> Good ! :-)
>
> I'm already spreading.

-Rob

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback Urmas :P

Just a reminder that we are all volunteers and this is open source, many of
us have day jobs we get paid to do and many of us are not experts in the
areas we volunteer in. This community allows many people to user their
expert skills or vice versa gain skills they would otherwise not be exposed
to in learning.

For example, I have coding skills, but I do that for my day job.  There was
a need for marketing and branding.  I jumped in and am trying my best to
drive this process forward, I've made proposals and I've tried to organize
information around assets and branding.

I don't think anyone suggested a bad idea in their contribution, they may
just not have the skills to create a finished product. Some looked more
finished than others.

Samer Mansour

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Urmas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
>> next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
>> are looking to update our logo.
>
> And there was no better ideas that copycatting MSO 4-tile logo, metro'izing it and throwing in some chicken feathers? The whole gallery save 1-2 images is like that.
>
> With all those donations one could suppose a real designer will be employed to create a keystone image. Unless someone is planning to get it off soon and not invest in it targeting next decade or more.

Thanks.  It is always good to get the LibreOffice perspective on this.

But with nearly 4000 responses to the survey so far I think it shows
that many thought it worth their effort to participate in the survey
in a constructive way.  This is good.   We were happy to accept logo
contributions from anyone.  We didn't ask for their C.V. first.
That's the nature of open source:  we're open.   Of course, not all of
the logos will make it on to the second round.

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manuel del Valle <m....@outlook.com>.

Posted by Manuel del Valle <m....@outlook.com>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:43:04 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:50:15 -0400
> > Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The Apache OpenOffice project is planning a "brand refresh" for our
> >> next major release, Apache OpenOffice 4.0. As part of this effort we
> >> are looking to update our logo.
> >>
> >> We've received 40 proposals from community members and we would like
> >> your feedback on these designs.
> >>
> >> You can find the survey here:
> >>
> >> http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/815178/
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your participation and feedback.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > Would you consider posting this to the Forums, Rob?
> >

> So far I've sent it to the dev, marketing and users list.  Also to
> Facebook and Twitter.  If there are any other places it should go,
> then please post it broadly.
>
> -Rob

OK, now posted to the en-Forum

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0 Logo Survey now Open!

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.