Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/06/26 08:05:13 UTC

[FlexJS][FalconJX] The Beginnings of Databinding

Hi,

I just checked in the beginnings of {} databinding in FlexJS.  If you look at the source code, the SimpleBinding and ConstantBinding beads that were in the earlier examples are replaced by {} expressions.  The compiler generates a data structure describing the bindings, and a bead interprets the data structure and sets up the bindings as needed.  In this early version, the binding bead is looking for a specific pattern that can resolve to what should be faster ConstantBinding and SimpleBinding expressions.  The rest of this week I'll be working on more and more general and complex cases.

The reason binding is applied by a bead is because it allows you to optimize by replacing general databinding beads with beads that know something about the binding context.  For example, in this prototype, the ViewBaseDataBinding bead knows that it is setting up bindings for a ViewBase which means that it can make assumptions that, for instance, the applicationModel structure itself will not be changing (its properties will, but not the reference to the model).  And that means you can use one less watcher and you can apply initial values at initComplete and not necessarily at the instantiation of each widget.

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] The Beginnings of Databinding

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Good catch.  Fixed.  Thanks,-Alex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sure thing.