Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1998/02/03 20:16:17 UTC

AuthName change in 1.3

I just moved a server from 1.2 to 1.3 and a user's .htaccess files
containing lines like:

AuthName This and That

are now failing.  I know we talked about chaning AuthName from RAW_ARGS to
TAKE1 ... but I didn't know we did it.  At the very least this needs to be
documented in upgrading_to_1_3.html.

I assume that:

AuthName "This and That"

is the new way to do it.

Dean

Re: AuthName change in 1.3

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 11:16:17AM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> I assume that:
>
> AuthName "This and That"
>
> is the new way to do it.

Yep. And we should mention that is is advisable to search the whole
(documentroot and userdir) tree for .htaccess files as well. It's not
just the httpd.conf; more often than not do things break after a long time
(after server upgrade) when nobody remembers, by accidentally hitting
a dir with an "old" .htaccess.

    Martin
PS: Anyway, I'm +1 to keep it this way.

Re: AuthName change in 1.3

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@covalent.net>.
Yep, I mentioned this over a week ago. Caused a real pain here...

While you are at it, could you verify that I am the only one having
problems with Basic authentication with a flat file containing
encrypted passwords?

Adding 'Satisfy any' to the .htaccess file solves the problem. I
have not yet traced this down.