Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Zaleski, Matthew (M.E.)" <mz...@ford.com> on 2008/08/20 17:50:34 UTC

Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

I'm testing 0.95 to see if I can upgrade my software from FOP 0.94.
Everything looked good except for the following situation:

I'm using keep-with-next on fo:table-rows to ensure that the FOP engine
tries to keep a table on a single page if at all possible.  In 0.95, I'm
getting a weird situation where the engine really wants to break the
table INSIDE the first row.  The only things that jumped out at me as
being different than the other rows of the table: fo:table-cells having
2 fo:blocks rather than 1, the first fo:block in the first fo:table-row
is causing the engine to do automatic line breaking to wrap the contents
within the fo:table-cell.

I've attached a distilled example .fo file along with the PDFs I get
from 0.94 and 0.95.  Any ideas on making my FO code compliant with 0.95
while still producing the results I see in 0.94 would be much
appreciated.

Matthew Zaleski

RE: Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

Posted by "Griffin,Sean" <SG...@CERNER.COM>.
Matthew,
Try changing keep-with-next/keep-with-previous="?" to keep-with-next.within-page="always".  You're indirectly setting keep-together.within-line="?", which, unless you're working with <inline>s is likely not what you want.

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.

Re: Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas Delmelle wrote:
>> I'm just curious. Going from 0.94 to 0.95, was FOP changed to be more
>> XSL-FO compliant and that caused the behavior change I experienced?
>
> I think so.

Correctly. With hindsight, there should have been a warning
in earlier releases that a keep-*.within-line was set but
wouldn't have an effect. Alas!

J.Pietschmann

Re: Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Aug 20, 2008, at 19:13, Zaleski, Matthew (M.E.) wrote:

> I made the change to my core .xsl templates to add
> keep-together.within-page='always' on every table-row and this
> fixed the
> problem.  Thanks!  I still want FOP to break a table at a row boundary
> if the table is bigger than 1 page; I'm assuming that setting
> keep-together.within-page='always' on the table would result in less
> fine-grained control over where FOP layout engine chooses to break a
> huge table.

Correct.

> I'm just curious.  Going from 0.94 to 0.95, was FOP changed to be more
> XSL-FO compliant and that caused the behavior change I experienced?

I think so. Vincent's been very active in that area for both
releases. If I'm not mistaken, one of the fixes involves the proper
inheritance of keep-* properties.

> Also, looking at the compliance page, it indicates that
> 'keep-with-next=<number>' isn't supported in 0.95 and prior versions.
> Yet I'm using this setting and FOP does exactly what I want.  Is it
> implemented or is FOP silently replacing <number> with 'always'?

Yep. I wasn't sure, but verified the code, and for 0.95 or earlier,
there is simply a check to see whether the value is different from
"auto".

Note that, since you mentioned more fine-grained control, FOP Trunk
does offer initial support for integer keep-values, so you get more
than simply 'always' or 'auto'. You can attribute a favorability to
possible breaks within and between the rows.

Cheers

Andreas

RE: Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

On Aug 20, 2008, at 17:50, Zaleski, Matthew (M.E.) wrote:

Hi

> I'm testing 0.95 to see if I can upgrade my software from FOP 0.94.
> Everything looked good except for the following situation:
>
> I'm using keep-with-next on fo:table-rows to ensure that the FOP
> engine
> tries to keep a table on a single page if at all possible.  In
> 0.95, I'm
> getting a weird situation where the engine really wants to break the
> table INSIDE the first row.  The only things that jumped out at me as
> being different than the other rows of the table: fo:table-cells
> having
> 2 fo:blocks rather than 1, the first fo:block in the first fo:table-
> row
> is causing the engine to do automatic line breaking to wrap the
> contents
> within the fo:table-cell.

... unless you would specify keep-together.within-page='always' on
either all table-rows, or simply on the table.

HTH!

Andreas

Re: Experiencing a change in table/page breaking behavior from 0.94 to 0.95

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.