Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@physics.org> on 2021/05/04 14:42:40 UTC

Re: possible swap from pipenv to poetry?

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, at 8:27 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't investigated this all that far yet as I thought it might be
> better to run past others before I put too much effort in.
>
> In the old bloodhound work we pretty much just made use of requirements
> files for installing with pip. Up to now the new bloodhound-core work
> was using pipenv [1] which may well be good enough for our needs but I
> feel like there are constraints from it only really being for
> applications rather than allowing for our work to be consumable as
> libraries.
>
> Poetry [2] seems like it is worth playing with to keep some flexibility
> around this aspect and it looks like it might make it easy to publish
> packages to pypi if we wish to benefit from that.
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary
>
> [1] https://pipenv.pypa.io/
> [2] https://python-poetry.org/

Well, if nobody cares that much, I think I will make the change from pipenv to poetry. The commands for working with each seem fairly similar (like `pipenv run` vs `poetry run` commands) but it is certainly nicer to be able to express python version compatibility which didn't seem to be an option with pipenv.

Cheers,
    Gary